Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Buying a 460 DA Info Needed

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by brbsta, Aug 11, 2007.

1. brbsta

brbsta New Member

I am looking at a 2001 460 da it has had some core repair it looks to have been a good repair and surveys OK has anybody had any experience with a repaired 460

What should I be looking for ??

Thanks BRB
  2. A J

A J New Member

I am also looking for a 460 DA (hard top) for the Great Lakes. With only a 15' dead rise Is it OK in big seas?
  3. hawker800

hawker800 New Member

Hello,
    I am also looking at a 2001 460 DA, what should I be looking for as far as water intrusion goes, Balsa Core issues?
    Thank you
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i just spent some time helping out a friend with 460DA, i was amazed at how access was an issue... Take some time looking at maintenance before deciding... for instance, one of the fresh water pumps in the ER is almost impossible to reach... There is only one bilge pump forward of the ER bulkhead and it's hidden behind/under the couch/bed in the mid stateroon. you can barely reach it... the windshield wiper motor can not be reached for replacement without cutting some major holes... the bilge pumps in the ER are either under the genny or under the batteries and nearly impossible to reach as well. etc etc etc

also, all bilge pumps have check valves, something most surveyors will disagree with (along with ABYC standards)

one serious issue in my opinion is that the entire hull/bilge is sealed: you can't get to it, there are no hatches. no ways of knowing what's going on down there. The hatches in the cabin floor open to some storage (nice) but not to the bilge!

that alone is one more reason to be weary of the hull if it is cored...
  5. hawker800

hawker800 New Member

Thank you for the info. I believe I will avoid anything older than 2003 at any price. Are there any other issues to look for on a 2003 or newer? I see the engines are the ugraded 480CE instead of the C6TA are these electronic version of the C6TA? Any Hull issues with the 2003 or newer?
  6. Boatbiz

Boatbiz New Member

Sea Ray 460 VS. Cruisers 460

Maybe check out Cruisers Yachts 460 Express before you bull the trigger. The construction is top notch, the detail is very good and the layout is far superior to the 460. With the 480 HP Volvo's it runs great too. You can't beat the midship master stateroom either!

I know of a 2006 460 with a hardtop you could pick up in Chicagoland for around $340K, it has full electronics and hardtop too.

Good luck!