Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

Bumped another boat. Now what?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Prospective, Aug 6, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Just updating as promised... Heard from owner who got an estimate from yard. Told me over the phone that it was $1400 to repair and paint the damage but the yard would have to haul to tune of $600. Costs don't seem out of line given the high price of getting anything done on a boat. Seems to bad that it can't wait until he hauls for the winter since the vast majority of boats around here come out right after Columbus Day but who knows, maybe he's taking his south. At any rate, I gave him my insurance companies tel no. and the claim no. I got and told him they'd handle it from there. Now to see what happens to my rates.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For that kind of money I would've just paid it, provided the owner would sign a release saying that, that is the entire extent of the damage and nothing further.
  3. Prospective

You may well prove to be right depending on what it does to my insurance. Hard to know for sure. We will see.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Chances are I'm guessing that the $2,000 is below your deductible anyways. So even going through insurance, you will have to pay for it out of pocket. If the insurance company doesn't pay out anything, I don't think your rates should go up.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's liability so no deductible.
  6. Prospective

Yes, this is correct. My deductible does not apply to liability.
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

You can always inform your ins co that you will reimburse or pay direct, better to pay direct if release signed