Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Bulbs on the Front of Yachts

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ron Lorence, Nov 4, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ron Lorence

Ron Lorence New Member

I was wondering why some Yachts have bulbs on the bow of the boat and some do not.....The yacht Cakewalk, at 282 ft. does not have one, and alot of smaller ones do.

If there so great, why don't they all have them....Just wondering.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
  2. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Bulbs

Ron,

Great question, and a lot of Yachts and designers put the bulbs on hulls to act as "wave breakers" and also for hydrodynamics of the water flowing over the hull. Typically the slower yachts, Mazu for example, will have a bulb, and Cakewalk, which is faster than Mazu doesn't have one, it also depends on the angle of entry of the hull into the water.

I'm by no means a Naval Architect, but this is how it's been explained to me.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The whole bulbous bow concept is rather misunderstood by many who fit them.

They are designed to work at a set speed which is usually full speed for the hull and load condition (draft) the best.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say.

Bulbous bow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This is true. Case in point, Captaintilt's description.

Wiki's description & illustrations leave a little to be desired too. The illustration below better explains the basic concept, however the shape and size of the bulb plays an equally critical role as well, such as a semi-symmetrical or inverted bulb.

Attached Files:

5. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

But the Bulbous bow is not not only about efficiency is it not?! I mean as you said there is a certain hull speed you can compute with the formula 2,42 x √LWL.
    So when you want to go faster than the hull speed you need an bulbous bow to keep the ship balanced (trimming factor). So more horsepower alone does not lead to a higher speed. (?)
  6. Chapstick

Chapstick Member

A bulbous bow reduces wavemaking resistance, but the increased surface area increases frictional resistance.

It's only worth fitting one when the net change in resistance is a decrease.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

One benefit on smaller displacement yachts, say 70-150 feet, is reduced pitching.