Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Comfort

Building a new yacht; seeking suggestions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by nilo, Jul 19, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brunick

brunick Senior Member

nilo we found your yacht :D
  2. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Thanks Brunick, Lars always giving inspiration and indeed I've shared the development process of the present boat also with him in the past.:)
  3. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

I think that the combination of the Moonen shipyard and Rene van der Velden is a good one.
    Since this yacht would have to fill a gap in Moonen’s current portfolio I would suggest a 110’ RPH. A two deck 110’ would look a little overstretched and a tri deck would be too bulky for this length. Moonen also has a history with RPH yachts so it would be quite a natural choice. Maybe the Moonen 105 RPH could pose as a basis for the 110.
    I second Lars’ idea for a motorsailor because I believe that there will be a future for that concept, although I simply can’t picture a Moonen with sails yet. Van der Velden’s Cyrus 3700 is a good example for a new motorsailor. His designs for Cyrus and Nakhimov are quite good but maybe too trendy or retro for a Moonen.
    I like the previously mentioned softness in the Moonen yachts so let’s keep that. Bigger glassed surfaces in the main salon and guest cabins would be a nice touch. They look nice and improve the natural light inside. Personally I’m not a big fan of the (3) vertical port lights in the guest cabins, but that’s a matter of taste. I find them a little outdated. Would balcony’s in the guest rooms be an option? A skylight in the owners’ suite maybe?
    A split level owner’s suite would be nice. (Check the Rodriquez 38 WB for reference). In the aft it would be nice to have lower bulwarks and use a railing instead. This unblocks the view to the water when sitting on the aft deck for, a more “open feeling”

There was an announcement of the Moonen 110 in Rene’s July newsletter. Is design already on his drawing board?
  4. Hiper

Hiper New Member

Wow! Great looking boat! nilo, do not look any further, that's what you have to build.
  5. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Yes, the design is already on his drawing board and seems you have peeked into it:).

Well, I know it will be a challenge to have a level more and keep it still low in the profile; but it is worth trying. We are looking for good lookout views from the salon and the upper deck and aft deck. Agree there could be a change in the vertical port lights, which Rene already incorporated. Balconies at this size are phony and too complicated to incorporate and they steal valuable interior space.

Of course a motor sailor is not in the cards, but we are looking what we can incorporate for innovative propulsion solutions, which again should be practical to install and be easy to use and accepted by most owners.
  6. nilo

nilo Senior Member

I also like Lars's style a lot, but as it has been pointed out by some other members, we also seek to follow the general line for Moonen yachts; hence we will stick with the Rene's softer styling, but of course I would be very pleased to incorporate any good idea.
  7. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

My advise for people that like to spend their holidays on balconies; Book a hotel!
    I also don't see the point of a balcony on a yacht.

Getting a tri-deck to fit in this length is a daunting task. the 124' proportions are good, but I think it shouldn't have been any shorter. A short tri-deck tends a little towards an explorer like a fellow member pointed out earlier.

Sanlorenzo has made a compromise between a RPH and tri-deck with their SL40 Alloy, but that yacht is longer and this option will also cost you the fly-bridge. I'm curious if they can find an attractive solution to this issue. Strategically I think that a tri-deck will not exactly fill the gap in the Moonen range. The 90 footers have done well over the past couple of year. I'm not sure if their owners will take the step towards a tri-deck in the future. A tri-deck is substantially bigger than an RPH in terms of volume. An increase in volume also results in higher build costs. The step from a 94' two-deck to a 110 RPH seems more logical to me than the step towards a tri-deck. I think that the 124' is a good start for a tri-deck range. A preliminary design of a 150' would be a nice way to top off the range. The span of 120' to 150' is a completely different type of customer in my experience.
  8. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Hi Nilo

I am catching up on everything i have missed on YF. Firstly congratulations on your new project I am sure it is going to be the best yacht around with all the knowledge that you will get from YF. I am looking forward in the updates on YF when the project is on the go. Good Luck. Please let me know when your boat is up for sale as the owner I am working for might be interested.
  9. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Maybe Rene vd Velden and Lars must work together on the design of this project, i think you will get a very good design if they have to put their heads together. It could be called the van der Velden Lars design.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks for suggesting this idea Graham, it would be interesting but not really realistic. Besides, I am not taking on any new projects as long as I am my own "inhouse designer". It is actually more fun to make complete designs than just exterior styling and interiors.

/Lars
  11. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Hi Lars I do understand where you are coming from but I am sure the design would have been an interesting one. It would have been the classic Moonen with a difference.
  12. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Bjorn,

We are very much aware of the restrictions and challenges for a three decker at this length, but a raised pilot house is a big compromise. You do not have a good flybridge and the space below is not good for anything.

In the past there had been good examples like "Saga", but agree they are somewhat too traditional. We are hoping to come out with something that is also contemporary both in the looks, but most importantly in the use of internal space and flexibility of space planning for different owners' tastes and needs.

I have recently come across this lovely lady in Corfu, which is much smaller in size, but she looks quite ok to me. I hope you will also share my opinion.

I believe that most owners around 100-120 feet mark are looking for something that is esthetically nice and space wise properly laid out. If this had not been the case, quite a lot of main stream series builders would not be trying to impose imitations of three deckers as long range sea worthy boats.

Attached Files:

13. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Graham,

Thanks very much, I am intending to put her for sale before I take delivery of the new boat, which I assume would be after next season. However, if he will be interested in a new build I can always ask the yard to contact you for further details.
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Actually, we have almost done it before. I made a design for a Moonen long time ago and Rene later gave it a twist of his style...

Attached Files:

15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is one of the six "Pacific class" 85-footers that Cammenga built to a De Vries Lentsch design. One of them, Hera C, has got a blue hull which is nice, but I think they are all a little too high.

A couple of years ago, a longer but near sister called Griffioen was launched.
  16. Mov-it!

Mov-it! New Member

Hi Nilo,
    This is indeed a very sweet classic. Your explanation cleared the remaining questions I had about the concept. An RPH does indeed create space with limited usability beneath the RPH floor. If you go for maximum efficiency in terms of interior volume, I guess a tri-deck is the optimal solution.
    Are you opting for the traditional white paint job? I kind of like Rene's use of colour schemes on the Cyrus yachts. Also the use of woods in the aft railings look very pretty.
  17. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Lars,

She was not higher than the Moonen 85 footers, as you very well know:); which were actually raised pilot house designs. Especially if you compare her with the Feretti Custom Line 26 meter, she was actually very low in profile.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I know that the flybridge (and the mast structure) made the Moonen 85 pretty high and I was not very happy with the rolling it created, especially in following seas. Having green water at the side windows of the wheelhouse at times can be scary. This is the reason I made the design above based on the same hull as the 85', but with a lower superstructure.
  19. nilo

nilo Senior Member

The paint scheme is of course not decided yet, but personally I want to keep her as a traditional boat. So, even if color is going to be introduced, this could be more traditional colors.

As to the wood in the aft railings; I have a very nice cap rail on the present boat and I know it make a big difference in the appearance. Actually, for the 1st time since launch I had "Infinity" next to "Nilo" in Split this week and the cap rail clearly changes the looks. However, looking after the wooden cap rail is a hard job. On the other hand, we are trying to create an aft look out both from the aft deck, as well as the sitting area in the salon with 180 degrees, uninterrupted view. So, there should not be distracting material on the way.
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is what is keeping day workers busy..:D

But having the wood on top of the stainless rails is making life easier than having it below.