Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

Building a new yacht; seeking suggestions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by nilo, Jul 19, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennett1

dennett1 New Member

2. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Thnks same wishes for the new targa fairline
  3. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Well calixas has a lot of nice futures in her design but she looks a bit high and stocky. I hope we will be able to improve both on the exterior looks and the interior space utilization. We also want to achieve an interior design which can be easily adapted to differt layouts/wishes.
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I would look into the Dragonfly System. It has ZERO discharge. http://www.DragonFlyMarine.com
  5. brunick

brunick Senior Member

did you thought about a cat? i think lars had some interesting projects :)
  6. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Thnks, but even with the present boat (which is capable to do 25 knots) I do not cruise above 15 knots, so speed at those levels is not really practical. I was running a passage in between Kos and Astipalia yesterday at 35 knot winds. Although she is built to run fast passsages in the same area Ermis will not be practical in such conditions. Yes, you can may be go still fast, but all the guests will be exhausted by the time you arrive. Also, I do not intend to run fast back to the office any longer:).

I am more thinking of a boat to have a top speed of 16 knots, but also should be capable of covering very long distance at cruising speed, may be 4000 miles.
  7. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Thnks, will check that and compare with the Hamann system, which had been running very efficiently on the present boat so far.
  8. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Brunick,

I have already discussed cats, but I understand, although they look very stable up to a point, beyond that they might have stability problems. Furthermore, they may not be cruising comfortably when the going gets very rough and their movements could be a bit jerky at times.

So, I want to stick with a traditional hull.
  9. brunick

brunick Senior Member

sorry if you discussed it in this thread, it was a lot of text to read ;)

looking over the moonen website i've discovered the 124' hull.
    i'd say with a raised foredeck like on "My Issue" that design would be great.

Edit like this one:
    (moonen might forgive me)
    [​IMG]
  10. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Thnks, we of course want this boat to be a part of the Moonen family and we want it to feel the gap between the 124 and the 97 displacement. So, there will be naturally resemblences between the 110 and 124.
  11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

White Rabbit concept

I tried previously to suggest you might want to consider some unconventional 'green yacht' concepts....like maybe White Rabbit That's a nice looking vessel with an unconventional hull.

The Navy likes the concept as well.

Or Humphrey's 40M Skysail Motor Yacht (tri-hull design)

Could make quite a splash when fuel goes back to $100 plus per barrel in the very near future.
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Gentlemen,

Nilo has given us an unprecedented opportunity to identify and incorporate ideas into a new build. As he stated, the boat will be built at Moonen so it's fair to assume it will be conventional motoryacht... not a para-gliding, ripple-piercing, dilithium crystal-powered vessel for interstellar travel.

Let's put YF's collective knowledge to work and offer some useful, everyday suggestions that may bring about a better boat!
  13. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Now that Moonen is Turkish owned, are you retaining the current/old designers, or is this new series reaching for a design shift from the traditional look.
    _________
    edit: just read #31 and answered my own question....too much sun lately I guess.
  14. nilo

nilo Senior Member

traditional design should not meant to be boring

Now that is a very good and valid point.

I believe Moonen has a traditional design that represents its quality and timeless looks in their products. Of course, Moonen would very much like to carry on this into the future, because it is a part of the heritage and it is also a strong point Moonen is proud to posses. However, Moonen is also innovative and likes to be incorporating this in their future products. Hence, we are trying to capture these elements in the design. It should be bold enough to represent the future and satisfy the requirements of the owners not just today, but also in the times to come; however at the same time it should not divert from the basic of solid yacht design and not just try to be different by incorporating elements that are not fit for a safe, strong and seaworthy yacht. The priority should be safety, practicality and esthetics.

So, the reply to your point; yes, Moonen will be working with the previous designers/naval architects; but we are really trying to come up with a design that will also represent the future.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Perhaps you remember that I posted a concept to be built near you last year. It never happened, but instead of lining my computer I can post some of the drawings leading up to the final 100-footer.

The idea from the shipyard was to use the lines from this older design; http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/17107-post119.html and make it more of an Explorer and also with the master cabin forward, raised above the sea level.

So here they are, 85´to 100´:

Attached Files:

16. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Thanks, indeed we are also working on a design more or less in the same lines; however I think a pilot house on the top deck may be something good. Of course the dilemma is how to make it still a low and sleek boat in the profile.

When we move the pilot house to the top deck, then we may have the fore part of the main deck either for the dinning area or a master cabin at deck level.

There could be 3 guest cabins on the lower deck and there would be 2 crew cabins with bunks + captain's cabin at the fore part, which will have a separate entrance from the galley on the main deck.

This would leave a large lazarette at the aft, which can also house the main tender.
  17. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Nice design Lars, but I would hate to see Moonen loose their organic curvatures and go edgy.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You can have both..?

Attached Files:

19. brunick

brunick Senior Member

lars: lets say that one is pretty, what size should this be?

nilo:i guess above is your new yacht :D
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Jannick, this is a 110-footer with a raised wheelhouse. (From 2004)