Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Broward sudden stern swing?

Discussion in 'Broward Yacht' started by libertyac, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Adventure

Adventure New Member

For years I was the captain of the MOJO (it was famous for that picture of it leaving Morro Bay in the 1978 with George C. Scott aboard) I drove it after it had been extended from 83' to 100' without moving the running gear. She is a wanderer. I would let some other captain drive and they would start getting "out of control". After years of watching people struggle with driving MOJO I figured the problem to be from over steering. They keep correcting from one problem to the next, until they are all over the place. I found the MOJO to be easy to drive and even dock after years of driving it. Not to make judgement on the person at the helm at the time, maybe they just weren't use to the handling and the wheel corrections they were making just snowballed out of control. I find the forward running gear takes longer to respond and you have to be back on center rudder before the vessel has even finished your previous rudder command. We also did leave the aft fuel tanks full to help it's handling. For years I was concerned with MOJO in following seas because of her extension and she was built of wood, but never had a problem. I always thought the worse thing is I leave the harbor a 100' long and return 83' long.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's a dream/nightmare several had although I can't say I ever heard of it happening. Some bad welds and other things yes.
    If several had problems oversteering it's a safe bet it's the boat. Doesn't mean its undrivable. All boats have their querks and we learn to deal with them.
  3. henry-fin

henry-fin New Member

what part of the rudder is the "chord"? I have been on a Bertram 54ft that did a nasty attempted broach which we later identified as the stabilizers were not returned to neutral.