Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Bridge Navigational Watch Alarm

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by tirekicker11, Mar 5, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Well said. Although, I am never a proponent of one-man bridge operation in the overnight hours. During the daytime I can sometimes let a one-man watch slide since there are always enough people around to check in with, or to notice if something has gone awry.
  2. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Bamboo you're not offending because it's pretty clear that you haven't really read my posts or you don't get what I'm trying to tell.

Apart from all the precautions I am taking (as explained in my previous post) I am looking into the possibility to have a nightwatch alarm. This because I've just read an article where a ship run aground because the night watch fell asleep.
    I do know quite a lot of delivery skippers that deliver brand new, minimal equipped boats but I don't know anyone who brings an alarm clock with them, in fact most of them don't bring an active radar reflector/ detector or AIS receiver like I do.

I think every skipper should do everything that is possible but feasible to improve safety at sea. When a $10.- egg timer may improve safety but a commercial style clock is out of the possibilities then my choice is easy made.

What bridge alarm have you installed on your boat?