Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Bought a boat - Need a Captain

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, May 5, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Everyone will be wearing 3 or 4 hats.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Obviously, but was interested in knowing what his plan was. Pascal talks about being Captain and Chef and that's an unusual situation. More often you might have a combo stew/chef and a stew, but then that leaves the captain with no real help at the helm, in the engine room or on the deck. So perhaps a deck/stew.

Now finding persons to fill multiple roles and do them well is the first challenge. It will also likely limit the type charter passenger as it may not leave you the ability to do five star hotel level meals, white table cloth service. Also, likely means overpaying vs. single role positions. For instance, we do not have deck hands. Captains help and stews help. When we're paying a captain to do deck work we're paying extra. On the other hand we don't do formal meals and service. Various stews cook, I grill, so we don't have a chef on board. That, however, would not be acceptable for charters.

I think Tim's best situation is to find a couple, Captain/Stew or Captain/Chef. Then he'll be able to have a crew of 4 which will cover the needs far better.
  3. Lenny

Lenny Member

As to couples, good and bad. When you loose one person you loose two. Yes they can sleep in one stateroom with one larger bed.. I have a 78 foot boat and we run with 4 in crew. No more charter, more on that below. I had a great captain for over two years with his girlfriend. He NEVER would have left. She was burned out, so lost them.Went thru three captains, nightmare. thought seriously of selling. Now have great Captain and chef couple for over two years. I overpay, benefits, car, housing, etc. Worth every penny. Every year substantial raise. Boat just now crossing the Atlantic. Has crossed seven times on her own bottom. Could have easily crossed, but decided to go on Dockwise, so crew could have two weeks paid vacation. I do not agree, but personal, about crew being your friends. We are informal and first name basis but we dine separately. Always felt the crew needs their time alone. What can the crew say? No we do not want to dine with you.
    As to charter. We did a few very successful charters in the Virgin Islands. Could have done more but used the boat. That summer we had one in New England and probably at least two more. One week before the charter we blew a clutch. Impossible to fix in a week and I really tried. Flew in my mechanic from Florida. The charter broker I thought was my friend. Asked about Force Major (Spelling?) before I signed the contract.. He said if boat breaks you just have to give back the deposit. MY FAULT, I did not send the contract to my Attorney. After I send back the deposit, he sends me a bill for about $6,000. The brokers commission is paid even is the charter is cancelled. It is paid, even if they rebook and make a commission on the second boat . The only broker I ever heard that make this commission. Boat broker - no Real Estate broker - no. Anyway my fault but this was a rip off. Broker never told me. Sent him the check and would never charter again. He looses since we would have had at least two more charters in New England and some very expensive charters in the Med. Just want to make the new owner aware so not as stupid as I was.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

As a top level steward, I used to lose about 6/8lbs in weight on a two week charter from running around after guests. I'm still only 135lbs wet through. The girls used to squeeze my bum to see how hard I was working.

Not eating and doing 20 hour days is not unusual for crew.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I've done the Capt/Eng/Chef/Stew thing but that was only with the Owner and his wife helping out. Any more than that, not a chance.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

That's a perq ! :)

Also, Congratulations on the new yacht. Nice.
  7. olderboater

Highly inappropriate though and in many situations illegal. Per the ILO Maritime Labor Convention not allowed but then this only covers above 500 Gross Tons. However, STCW 2010 also has the same standards on rest hours.

Rest Hours According to STCW 2010
    • A minimum of 10 hours of rest in any 24-hour period
    • 77 working hours in any 7-day period
    • The hours of rest may be divided into no more than two periods, one of which shall be at least 6 hours in length, and the intervals between consecutive periods of rest shall not exceed 14 hours.
    It's time we, as an industry, move beyond these archaic and unsafe practices of 20 hour days and inadequate rest.
  8. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Many vessels run mini ISM programs also. The hours of rest is the most abused & fudged record aboard commercially registered vessels today. Crew are pressured to get "creative" with their hours of rest recordings for the management company auditors and flag state reviews.
  9. olderboater

I know and a deplorable practice.