Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Glendinning

Bottom paint best practices

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by leek, Nov 20, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. leek

leek New Member

I am trading my Lindell 38 in on a larger boat. The bottom was scheduled to be painted as it was painted 18 months ago for the first time in 10 years, so I agreed to paint it as part of the trade. The boat came with Copperpoxy 10 year antifouling system.
    The first paint job was pretty rough and the yard wants to sand it off which I don't have a huge problem with. But after that they want to put four coats of epoxy barrrier paint and then the anti fouling paint. The estimate is $7000
    The boat has been in salt water for 10 years and has no blisters. The Copperpoxy may be acting as a barrier coat.
    Are they overdoing it or is this just good practice?
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

While it's good practice, if the boat is going to stay up in cold water and it's not had a blister problems so far, I'd be hard pressed to go to the effort.

Is it a slow speed boat? If so I'd don't know if I'd even be in a hurry to sand the old paint off and expose the gelcoat.

Why mess with what's worked so far.
  3. melkal

melkal New Member

I think what you said was that you are trading your boat and as part of the deal agreed to paint the boat bottom. Did you agree to that or to redo the bottom, as these are going to be 2 different jobs with 2 very different yard bills!

Paint on top of old paint while rough does not cost much. If you sand it all, even though you say there are no blisters, you may find otherwise and now what? More work on your dime?

I did mine a few years ago, sanded to gelcoat, barrier coated (2 coats) and then repainted. It is expensive and well worth it if you intend to keep it.

It looks to me like you would be very generous to spend that kind of money and if I were the yard or the next owner, I would be very pleased to have it done on your dime.