Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

Boats, Bikes & Brain Damage...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by K1W1, Aug 1, 2011.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It's a pity it isn't the same for Physiotherapists and Orthopedic Surgeons as well isn't it.

News reports would indicate the these two professions are getting almost as much business as Motorcycle Shops from mid life crisis middle aged motorcyclists. Morticians get the rest.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just visited my neighbor to help him get something from a high shelf. He has no left leg (hunting) and his right leg is now busted in 2 places from getting T-boned on his Sportster. Must say that the day after his hit I had some thoughts, but when I got on my ride it just felt sooooo good. Besides, if the seas haven't killed me, my wife hasn't killed me and my friends haven't gotten me killed, what chance does my little Super Glide have. Live Free or Die. Don't matter much which. One of the pleasures of passing 50 is you don't have to give a c--- since you've already outlived half the health nuts you grew up with.
  3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Amen.
    Yo, K1W1, where's the balls?
    No gots, OK, no need to denigrate them who got's 'em.

Been riding/racing since I was 14, and never felt so free and alive as on me bike.

After a 35+ year hiatus, I'm back on a Triumph Bonneville and if it ended tomorrow, I'd have had the pleasure of living quite large over the past few months.

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" - Hunter S. Thompson

Life without the fear and the thrill? Yer already dead, but just don't know it.

I apologize for any judgemental opinions here, but, in the long run, we're all dead anyway.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I see we have something in common after all, I had to get my Father to sign for my Racing License when I was 14. I still have it somewhere but would now consider myself one of the old *******s that used to annoy me so much with their new pristine machines when I was young and full of beans.

I would like to get another bike and have been looking seriously at a BMW GS 1200 and my old favorite a BMW RS 1150 RS.

I just have to overcome the pressure on the home front to stay with 4 wheels. My girlfriend has justifiable concerns her grandpa had his head run over by a bus after falling off on an icy road and her brother was paralyzed after hitting a deer on an R 90.

I am using the commuter excuse of dropping an hour each way off the trip I will start doing in the New Year although I wouldn't ride the bike till the snow and ice melts.

Deep down I would like a T140 but want a bike I can go to the garage and get on and it goes without the need for a pile of sawdust under it and a hope it starts when I want it.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just tell 'er to put the blame where it belongs. If it weren't for the bus and the deer .....:)
  6. Loren Schweizer

"Deep down I would like a T140 but want a bike I can go to the garage and get on and it goes without the need for a pile of sawdust under it and a hope it starts when I want it."

Well, fancy that. As long distance rides become more appealing, an R1200R comes closest to what's next for me.
    K1W1, you'll be pleased to know that the modern Hinckley-built Triumphs don't drool oil and with the EFI, they start up quickly and with no fuss. And, by ditching the OEM pea-shooters for a set of British Customs 'Sleepers', this Bonnie sounds just like the late'60s T120s from my school days.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

first bike 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650cc.:) Always got respect wherever she cruised.
  8. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

An R1200R was my plan. Kitted out for cruising we could have it shipped over every holiday and tour the US or Oz. Because we've only got 'Asian' drivers here I decided to choose for a bit more conservative.

The Chang has been a good daily commuter. The only thing about them is that you have to sponge out the carburators after heavy rainfall.

Attached Files:

9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The last few posts have been split off from the Happy B-Day thread and retitled "Bikes, Boats & Brain Damage".
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'd like to jump on this thread too. This is my 2002 Honda VTX-1800. I bought it new almost 10 years ago and have accumulated a whopping 7700 miles. I keep riding limited to short trips on back roads because YF has never made enough money for me to get health insurance. But today at 1:00 PM, that's going to change. I'm meeting with an insurance agent to submit my paperwork. Once covered, I intend to ride again...

Attached Files:

11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

My new(ish) ride is going to be here next week. I like a mad, arm-waveing Italian loony bike.

Aprilia-RSV1000-r.jpg

The Aprilia RSV1000r. Custom touches are a polished frame, underseat cans(very loud) matt black bodywork and white wheels. Very silly as I'm going to be 45 in a couple of weeks. :)
  12. Loren Schweizer

Suitable for a shade-tree mechanic.

T100 BC Sleepers.JPG
  13. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Yamaha 650 road bike and 360 Enduro. Traded bikes for boats :D

Judy
  14. Loren Schweizer

OMG. My RT1 was a black tank with red pinstripes, 1970 I think. We'd yank the lights, load up the bikes on a trailer (buddies with a DT1 and an OSSA 250) and ride enduros at Croom, Daytona...all over. Too dammed heavy, though.

Best memories were a couple of commutes between FTL and Tallahassee--two days @ 55 mph on that tiny countershaft sprocket. Winter. 25F. Coffee stop. Pee stop. Coffee stop. Pee....you understand.

Judy, you rock!

What would a Jap dirt bike get you in the way of a boat?
  15. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Well, that was figuratively speaking, but in reality it was a 20' ski boat. And skiing on Roosevelt Lake was a great first boat ownership experience. When you see where the lake is, you can imagine how great the bike riding was too!

Judy
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Geez... am I the only one here without a form of 2 wheeled transportation? :eek:

I'll side with K1W1 as far as bikes go... an R1200GS Adventure is my dream bike. Heck, any BMW GS would be nice... a used 800 would be great for my wife and I to tour on.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Loren, what year is the Triumph? Looks mid- 70's. Never saw green. Looks sharp. My '69 was burgendy, without the knee pads (or turn signals).
    Current ride. '04 Super Glide. 3 owners put 3,400 miles on it in 5 years. I've got about 10k in the past year. They're not just to look at.:) IMG_1574.JPG
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Ed,

Loren's Triumph is a new Hinkley built one, you can tell by the watercooling and lack of oil dripping from underneath. :rolleyes:
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thanks Fish. Didn't look close enough. DK why it needs watercooling. A few other changes there as well. BTW, my '69 didn't leak. Now the Harleys I rode with back then were another story. Always knew when they came through.
  20. Loren Schweizer

Actually, that's an oil cooler you see ahead of the air-cooled 865 twin.

Took delivery of this brand-new T100 end of March and the clock reads ~4,000 miles.

Still getting used to her. Comfy at 80, paying very close attention at 90, briefly touched 100 for bragging rights; front end gets pretty light/too fast for this geezer.

NYCAP, your '69 T120--or, likely, it's cousin, was the hot-sh*t bike I never owned. It was very easy to walk into the dealership this Spring, point to the green one, and say "I want that one".