Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Boat/Yacht shipping on the east coast?

Discussion in 'Yacht Transport Ships' started by CTdave, Sep 14, 2006.

1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

With the cost of fuel these days, I know of dozens of 50-75' boats whos owners (including myself) have decided not to take them down to FL for the winter. Two years ago, my fuel bill for a one way trip from CT down to the Palm Beach area was roughly $5000. Last fall it was $6800 and when I brought it back up this past spring, it was over $10,000:eek: I can see a $14000 one way fuel bill now. Then add in dockage, food, "drinkables", plane tickets, ground transportation, hopefully no mechanicals and I'd be looking at a $30,000 round trip for a 50' boat.
    With all that said, Dockwise can't do it because of the "Jones Act" which says a non US registered vessel can not pick up and then drop off cargo from/to US ports without making a stop outside the USA inbetween pick up/drop off.
    How about one of those 300- 400 foot ocean going barges? Couldn't they crane the boats in, block them up & take them all to FL? I have called two shipping companies and both have said they researched it years ago & it was not cost effective. There must be somebody out there who has a big barge & tug sitting around & looking for work.
    Any big ideas? There must be another way of thinking here.
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

CTDave,
    I've been hearing that story from more and more owners of mid-sized boats. Not bringing down/taking up due to cost of fuel being the main concern. Hauling boats on barges is done, but you don't usually have those large barges running the coastline. You may have more fuel barges doing that type of work. There are a number of lift-type vessels that have cranes on them that can do the haul and block, but since it's seasonal, it's probably not cost effective. If you had just a flat barge, then you need the facilities to load and unload. And the time for a round trip would have to be almost two weeks, if not longer.
    It's not a bad idea, just not feasable.
    Capt Tom
  3. CatalinaDYT

CatalinaDYT New Member

Folks...

Hang in there...

Dockwise is working on accommodating our West Coast yachties. It's a slow process, so hang in there and keep your eyes peeled on www.yacht-transport.com. Either way, you can always ship your "baby" via our Ensenada to Port Everglades route, which is darn close to California; the other option is Nanaimo, Vancouver to East Coast USA. If what Capt. Dave says is correct and fuel prices are still as high as when this message was posted, then it is definitely cheaper to drydock your vessel, again emphasizing the wear and tear factor. I hear waters can be pretty choppy (to say the least) on this route. And, one last selling point, then I'll shut up, is we are the only yacht transport company that offers a float-on/float-off procedure which is safest for your yacht.

Please keep the ideas, suggestions coming.

HAPPY SAILING

CatalinaDYT
    catalina@dockwise-yt.com