Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger

Boat damage who's responsible?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Adopo, Dec 9, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Thanks David. You didn’t have to apologize we all have our moments. Appreciate it any way
    Capt Ralph and motoryachtlover like this.
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Lots of Respect from me on this
    rtrafford likes this.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

indeed
  4. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

@Adopo, David, proper apology and very cool of you.
    I, for one, am happy you posted your questions and discussed this subject. I learned from it. I am hoping you will buy a boat now and keep us up to date on your adventures as well. You see, every few come here and stay whe PJ they encounter straight shooters.
    Even if your friend has more questions let us know?
    I hope your treatment is going well.
  5. Adopo

Adopo Member

8156584_20211210132111864_1_XLARGE.jpg 8156584_20211210132115916_1_XLARGE.jpg 8156584_20211210132022521_1_XLARGE-2.jpg
    Thanks everyone for the kind replies, you guys have been great! Yes, treatment is finally going well, just felt really ****** and not very clear headed, day eleven here. So foggy in fact I made an offer on this boat and will be going to Stuart to inspect it. Funny that is where my friends boat is as well. I've always liked a boat that looks like a boat to me, traditional with a proud bow. This on paper looks like one of the best ones I've seen in a while. Looks like complete rebuilds about 240 hours ago on 3196s, and a fresh water boat, shed kept from 2008 to 2021. How much will I miss a real cockpit or at least a large swim platform? Stern thruster? Hard top? Enclosed canvas for back deck? I have many many questions. What I do know is life is short, time is short, and I have always wanted to go from Cuba to Maine, Bahamas, etc. It will never happen if I don't start.

https://www.**************/yacht/2001-grand-alaskan-raised-pilothouse-8156584/
    gr8trn likes this.
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

There was another gentleman on a trawler forum that was chasing this boat, he was very disappointed that your bid was higher . Apparently this boat is in excellent to Bristol condition.
    Congratulations.
  7. Adopo

Adopo Member

I have to inspect and accept that boat. I have discovered a new concern today- the 3196 engines. Doing some research on that now and will post a new question. Dernit...
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I looked at 3 Grand Alaskans back in 2008 for a client. Boats were in the 2000-2005 range, 65-75.

I can’t say that I was impressed by their quality. I remember the exposed wiring on the back side of shore power inlet on the Portuguese bridge and issues with stern storage lockers that had flimsy latches and hinges and were partially open to the ER. One had a lot of soot inside the lockers.

I also recall not having an overhead hatch in the ER. At seas if the boat takes on water you have no way of getting into the ER without opening the transom door and risking even more flooding.

there were other things I don’t remember and my customer got something else even though they really like the style and layout.

these issues may have been addressed down the line
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I hire you to help me run my boat from here to there, at the time of hire and ahead of the departure I contact my agent by email with your CV and add you as an operator to my policy. They confirm. We leave. I'm covered.

Yeah, I get the "don't trust" angle. Wise. But I get things in writing. An insurance company could equally challenge a claim I make as captain of my own vessel. It's their job description to avoid payouts. Really pays to know your policy well.
    bayoubud likes this.