Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

Boat brands you miss

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Dec 28, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I am not saying you can manage a European facility the same as US. You don't manage any two countries the same. But the fact is that under the very same conditions there are successful boat builders in the UK and in Europe in general. Now your point of not managing a European facility the same as US may point to a larger problem. Maybe Brunswick failed to acknowledge that in their approach and tried to manage it the same. If so, that's a Brunswick mistake.

As to Sealine being an underperformer, Brunswick still did nothing with them. And it's not just Sealine you can say that about. Many of their acquisitions have deteriorated under their ownership while others might not have deteriorated but have failed to improve. I'm sure when they acquired Sealine they did it on the basis of plans they created showing improvement. Either those plans were poor and unreasonable or their performance in running the acquisition was. It's way too easy to blame all adverse events on circumstances beyond one's control.

That's not to say that some of the boat builders they've acquired haven't benefitted through their ownership.

I would also say this, while Brunswick hasn't worked out well for all acquisitions, there have been many worse owners of boat builders.
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Yes, certainly ones that would have made better acquisitions

It depends how it was packaged to them, but ultimately they are on the hook. As the saying goes, no matter how long you polish a txxx, it is still a txxx...........

At some point you have to realize you can only do so much and cut your losses, look at GM's Brand consolidation

It is hard to justify these wholesale statements when they are still the major recreational boatbuilder in the world, especially after the recent collapse of our industry - no one saw it coming, and just like GM, the overall industry needs them to succeed to be healthy. I don't agree how they ran the Cabo deal, but the fact is most of the brands under their influence would not have survived if they were on their own.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Amen to that!
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

They shared a lot with the Egg Harbor line, since the Leek family ran both. Pacemaker being a lot more "plastic" and Egg Harbor having beautiful interior woodwork.

The 48 SF (in both versions) was proportionately one of the best looking in its class.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I wouldn't really cite GM as a good example. I admit I grade tougher based on my years in business.

Over the years, I'd give Brunswick a very mixed grade. Certainly better than AMF along the way. I think balancing their businesses was a good strategic move. I think the very aggressive move to protect Mercury Marine through the acquisition of boat companies and acquiring the two largest in Bayliner and Sea Ray was impressive. The fact they have both stayed on top these years is positive and couldn't have happened had Brunswick not had the diversity and balance. They've done well with their aluminum brands. On the other hand I'd downgrade them when they've acquired and managed boat lines outside their basic realm of family boats and aluminum with moderate price points. Yacht brands have not thrived under them. Nor have specialty high performance type boats. I'd give their overall performance a B+. But when it comes to yachts and high performance or anything outside the mass market boating arena I'd give them a D as their stewardship has allowed those brands to decline. Still that only brings their overall performance as a company to a B+. I think recognizing the areas that weren't their strength deserves credit too. It would have been easy to have held on to brands like Hatteras just for the prestige as opposed to fitting well in their business model.

As to the collapse of the industry and no one saw it coming, I only partially agree. Well run companies have contingency plans. It was unreasonable to expect the boom to continue upward forever. The well run boat builders are still here, in spite of the very tough times. They deserve a tremendous amount of credit. All struggled to some degree, had cutbacks and layoffs at various times, had bad years. But there are many who have persevered well. Brunswick is among those with the vast majority of their brands. My comments are not a criticism of Brunswick as a whole. But I do criticize their management of certain brands. Hatteras is the one I'd criticize most strongly. I hope they can regain their past position. But right now they have very limited offerings compared to Viking as an example.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Brunswick is too into cutting costs in their business model for it to work with th go-fast boats and yachts. Those buyers want the higher quality and are willing to pay for it....Brunswick is too interested in cutting costs, like using plastic seacocks in it's Searay's to understand that a Hatteras buyer doesn't want that stuff and is willing to pay the difference.....Also too many people have to approve something in order for them to make a major change, whereas the decision can be made by Viking with one phone call to the owner.....
  6. John.hay

John.hay New Member

Uniflite!

Uniflite!

Attached Files:

7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The Uniflite built Pacemaker MY designs were a short part of their history, but they did quite well with their Double Cabin MY's (36/42) and later added cockpits to these models (41/48).

We had a 1977 42 Convertible that was reliable as hell, fished all over SoCal and Mexico, and I could write volumes on the inherent Blister problems this brand faced, but those were mainly cosmetic and we just wanted to make her look nice.
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I would not have guessed that was a Uniflite.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

It is - built from Pacemaker fiberglass parts.
  10. John.hay

John.hay New Member

Last 50' Uniflite

My 50' 1984 Uniflite is an East Coast built boat. It was designed by D. Martin and Pacemaker did in fact build this design for some years. My hull was started by Uniflite during Uniflite's demise and was finished off by Chris Craft, so it was literally the last 50 Uniflite they built. This boat never had the well publisized blister problems. I guess by then they had figured it out. Chris Craft built many of these especially the 46' model. Jefferson also built a very similar yacht.