Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights

Boat boarding

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Nov 29, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And that boat works at that dock only because the dock is fixed and so high. At most floating docks that would require steps. Part of the problem is the difference between boats and docks.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Steps are no problem. When we go to the Bahamas in addition to the typical Marquipt/Tracy stairs we also take a plastic two stepper to use when we don’t need the full stairs when using lower fixed docks where we don’t need the full stairs.

it s all about flexibility. And that’s why side safe boarding is critical in this country and it s easy to do.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Mmm... It must have been a while since your last trip to EU, I suppose?
    I can think of some Med marinas whose facilities and infrastructures I've never seen anywhere in FL.
    Anyway, an EU vs. US contest is not the point, and I couldn't care less about that.
    I simply said that if given the choice, I'd rather chose a marina with floating docks, regardless of having or not side boarding gates on the boat.

Who in his right mind wouldn't, I wonder?
    In fact, in some of the pics you posted, the fixed dock height would make boarding from the side a PITA regardless, while boarding from the stern platform (assuming a comparable height, as it normally happens with floating dock) would be much more convenient.

They aren't for you, and that's fine.
    Still, steps are indeed a PITA for many boaters, at all levels: when deploying them, using them to climb up or down, recovering and eventually storing them onboard.
    Me, I'd rather handle just a 4 buttons remote, to raise/lower and extend/retract the passerelle as required.
    You live with your steps, I live with my pocket remote... :D
  4. olderboater

I agree with you that flexibility is nice and preferable where feasible. There are many boats on which it isn't. Riva's don't really have the ability. Some other boats don't really. On some, it would be a fairly simple modification if the manufacturer chose.

I don't agree with it being critical and it's not easy to do on some boats to modify. I've boarded from the stern for nearly 9 years with no problems.

While you may be complaining here, I don't believe the builders who could modify for side boarding are receiving that many complaints. If they were, perhaps they'd add the ability or perhaps they wouldn't make the change as the US market is a relatively small part of their business plus those who have the complaint are a small part of the US market. So do you change for 15% of the market? For 5%? Well, the do a lot of accommodations for the US market so perhaps they would if enough people came to them with complaints.

Regardless, I do appreciate you bringing the issue up as I think any issue that may involve safety needs regular discussion.

However, it would need to be potential buyers or their representatives. You're complaining about a problem that as far as I know doesn't directly impact you, but you believe does impact others. Are those other boat owners complaining? I haven't.

As an aside, we do have a side opening on our AB. We have tested using it. Our ladder is 9 steps. However, we haven't yet used it other than testing it. Our docking has either been stern in or side tie and the stern platform and passerelle are just much easier and safer. Also most of our docking in Europe was not what we call Med Mooring.

I'm clearly missing something (seeing the sterns and platforms) on the photos you've posted to understand why the boats you've posted have boarding problems. I'm assuming it's because they're side tied and can't use their passerelles and it's a huge step down to the platform at that dock. Am I correct or is there a greater problem?

It would be interesting to hear others talk about their marinas and any boarding issues.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I was thinking the same, while looking at the photos.

Yet, if the inconvenience would be due to the platform lower than the dock, it should be possible to use steps pretty much in the same way as Pascal said he's sometimes using for side boarding - just the other way round, leaving the steps on the platform rather than on the dock.

Another thing that might be cumbersome is having to pass over a stern line, but a workaround should be feasible also for that, using another cleat or whatever.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Look at picture nr 1 and how you have to climb on top of a narrow, angled and slippery surface before being able to step on the deck

compare this to this older 50 Azimut where you just open the gate and step on. The plastic steps on the dock make it easy to have a step at the same height as the door threshold. Boat is tied further from the finger as owner is out of town but when they re here the boat is close enough to step on.

A friend of mine used to run a new 95 Sunseeker and after a couple of weeks the owner had to have a gate cut in since it was too hard getting on board.

adding adequate access is much easier than building US models with US electrical which European builders do anyway.

Attached Files:

7. olderboater

I can't see the swim platform in photo #1.
  8. PremierPOWER

PremierPOWER New Member

This was a concern when building our Schaefer 660. The side folding balconies make a dive door not possible. Ended up having a passerelle put on. Also had them make the side rails open at midship, with removable boarding stairs.
  9. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Pascal, I rarely disagree with you. However; you are showing only pictures that agree with your opinion. I could show thousands of picture of the opposite opinion. We will all argue this but in the end as time progresses there will be less fixed docks and more floating docks in the USA. It is happening now and will continue. I am sorry to disagree with you.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lots of these newer floating docks still suck. This is a popular marina in Jax.
    The corner is filled with a Dock Dox keeping most motor boats from coming all back, keeping the stern far from the main dock.
    The dock box keeps you from reaching the aft platform from astern.
    The finger pier is less than half the length of the slip.
    The rest of the slip uses Dolphin piles that you must reach from your boat while backing in or from the your bow with a line pole.
    slip.jpg
    That is a 50' slip that that lil boat is bowed into. BTW, Bow in is discouraged here.

Oh, Here; Slips rented by the length of the slip and not by the length of the boat. Your boat can not exceed the slip length. They will rent you the next sized up slip (still by the foot).

Seems to work for skinny asp's snail botes backed all in. Lots here for sure.

This is the standard new dock design in the JAX FL area.
    Or, as the brand new fixed wood docks just up river, still a Jungle Gym to crawl on/off your boat.

So, lots of newer docks are still a PIA.

I'm not blaming the boat MFG's for everything.
    Not blaming the dock designers for everything.
    Not blaming the boat buyer for everything.
    All have a share of not ensuring some safe and common sense , when boarding/de-boarding a boat come to design thoughts.

But it looks cool!!!!
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hey you certainly can disagree and don’t have to apologize !!

yes I only posted pictures of boats with difficult boarding and indeed many don’t have this problem. In most cases the solution is an easy to incorporate boarding gate.

note that as mentioned these 5 examples are all on my pier. Excluding empty slips, sailboats, sportfish and express that s probably 5 out of 15 motoryacht style boats. That’s 30%.

it costs a ton of money to convert a fixed pier marina to floating docks so that s not happening any time soon. New construction? There are very few marinas being built in SoFl for a bunch of reasons

And again as mentioned there are thousands of private docks in SoFl with all of them being fixed docks.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would say some builders are receiving complaints. Around 2019, side doors became an option on princess yachts. Others, I’m currently delivering a 60’ hatteras my, have a nice rectangular engine room vent opening you can just step in and lift your leg over the side if the boat is too high to board. Many times the swim platform tends to be too low.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Newish 60 Sunseeker had joined the dangerous boarding group here on my pier... :) Zero way of climbing over the sides. At low tide the platform is 3 feet down. All Sunseeker had to do is built a notch/step right below or above the cleats. That way there would always be a step at the right level.

Yesterday at low tide guests had to sit on the wooden dock and slide down. Not elegant.

picture taken at high tide 6B96B8F6-F047-41AE-BCDF-63850CCD1D7D.jpeg
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I believe that's actually a 55, not a 60.
    Regardless, I'd rather blame the penny pincher owner for not ticking the passerelle box.
    If anything, what you could blame the builder for is not having included it as standard.

BTW, the side gate access to the boat in background doesn't look so convenient to me.
    With any half decent passerelle, in both boats the access would be MUCH better.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

How do you use a passerelle when docked alongside a fixed pier? This is another very frequent scenario in the US and Bahamas. You can’t use it! And here at this marina, like so many here, there is a dock box in the middle of the slip.

It s not about the cost of the passerelle which is more than a few pennies. It s also about maintenance and space it takes inside the boat. In some case it reduce headroom in the garage, crew quarters or engine room. Or if you install a non retractable passerelle, it s always in the way when using the platform.

so much easier to have a side gate. In this case it could be a notch in that bulging thingy back there with a hinged cover to keep their precious styling intact

we have a lot of people getting on and off the boat and using stairs, like the one in the background, it is so much easier and safer. Passerelles on boats that size are narrow and many people, especially older folks, are afraid of them.
  16. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Oi, I was simply commenting your own photo: in that particular situation, the passerelle (which btw in many boats, 'Hattan 55 included, is NOT in the midde) would have allowed a great access, nowhere near as steep as the steps in the other boat.

Ref. the passerelle size, I agree that some builders think that at this boat size they can fit passerelles that seem designed for smurfs, but that's another subject altogether.
    I'd rather give a wide berth to them regardless of the passerelle, because they are likely to have cut also many other corners.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The steps on the other boats are standard stairs widely used here in the US. The design automatically adjust to tide variation and the steps are always level. This is the safest and easiest way to board a boat. They have at least one handrail, two if preferred making it very safe and steady. We have people over 80 years old with mild mobility issues on board and they were safe. They d have never use the averse passerelle like those installed on the azimuts here on the dock.
  18. olderboater

One thing that needs to be mentioned too is we're talking in generalities as boats vary widely but also doors/gates and ladders vary widely and passerelle's do as well. With of ladders and passerelles is important, rails are, rotation can be important. I've seen both ladders and passeerelles that I didn't consider safe for anyone. Also weight capacity. I wouldn't use either without handrails and prefer them to be strong, not light weight and flimsy.

I saw a boat in Italy with an absolutely gorgeous ladder/gangway from the swim platform up to the dock. It rotated and would work in any application. The steps had sturdy rails on both sides. However, there was a 2 to 3' level section between the ladder and the swim platform. It had no railing. In addition it had a tricky step up onto the platform. So a very good idea destroyed by horrific execution in my opinion. I also saw a ladder used for side boarding and fixed perpendicular to boat once that with the height of the boat and length and design of the ladder they were unable to keep the base on the narrow finger pier. I saw one boat in France that had an incredibly impressive ladder with a high capacity, great rails on both sides. However, as we waited and watched them board, one person with us noticed the attachment of the ladder to the boat. It was like a $60k ladder and a $0.50 attachment.

This is definitely something buyers should consider and whichever system they use be sure they're getting a workable system for their boating locations. Look closely at the boat and it's boarding options.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have avoided comments on passerelles. They look like an event waiting to happen. Others (rarely spotted) look some what safe but I'm not standing on any of them with supplies, tools, parts or my asp in my hands. See post # 20.

This can be the best words of caution;
    As I have tried to explain (maybe poorly), it is the guy writing the checks that contributes to that (safe/un-safe) purchase decision.
  20. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I can't see well enough the steps in your photo in post #33 to understand how they work and how solid they are, so I won't comment further - aside from what I already said ref. a passerelle being, if nothing else, much less steep in the same conditions.

On the other hand, you already praised also the plastic steps in the photo of your post #26.
    Now, I hope you won't pretend that also those are the safest and easiest way to board a boat, because that would be beyond a joke.