Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay

Boat aground and sinking, Marco Island

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Feb 12, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Sometimes running up on plane helps if the conditions are right. For instance heading east on the bank out of cat cat there is a shallow area about 6 or 7 Nm with about 6’ MLW. All flat sand, no coral.

at dead low tide, a boat with a 5’ draft will squat at hull speed leaving very little clearance, if any. Moreover, in shallow water instead of doing 10kts, speed will drop to 8 kts...

Whenever we go thru the area at low tide, I usually run on plane at 20/22 kts. No risks and the sounder reflects the boat riding about a foot higher in the water.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, drove my #5 response above
    Some lip action wanting better nav DAY markers, nothing to do with the wreck.
    Talking head says only two choices for the Coast Guard to do, "Move the markers or dredge".
    Wrong, Third choice is to pull the markers as the USACE & USCG has done many times before in other areas of the state.
    Very poor journalism down there to have put that supposed "News Report" out..

Dredging a near private area is not going to fix anything anyway, if the bars keep walking around.
    The locals can maintain their own markers with that tude.

News report never mentioned the casualties approach to the channel or what speed.
    No comment if local or rookie to the area either.

The above comments about running over a bar at speed with tabs down also require lots of local knowledge.
    With zero knowledge, I've been in there (Marco Island Range) with no issues, at slow speed.
    Slow also not to tic off the many locals moving around (in big and lil boats) at slow speed in the same lanes.
    I recall, it may be a no wake zone out there.

M I a.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

These are just reports, not journalism, no pretense of such as reporters don't know boating and don't spend the time or effort to learn more. Just quick stories because while we may find them interesting, most of their viewers are far more interested in other things.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I used the word journalism incorrectly as you stated and I apologize.
    And it was not real news either.

Junk report videos sell commercials.
    An endless cycle of TV junk.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're right about that 3rd option, which is probably the most likely if a bunch of noise is made given the federal budget Up here we have Moriches inlet which they closed to navigation pretty much forever. The locals know how to read it, but every year it claims 3 or 4 boats. Recently the rich and connected folks on Dune Rd. wanted their beaches filled in at the government's (our) expense and suddenly it got dredged for the first time ever and the beaches got extended. Not on the town and county parks abutting the inlet of course. Just the houses in the Hamptons. There's even buoys so they can bring their too big for the bay boats through. So it all depends on who has how much pull, but closing it and pulling the markers is a definite option.