Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Comfort Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Boat aground and sinking, Marco Island

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Feb 12, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Or more likely he ripped a shaft and / or rudder. I doubt it has a garage and the transom door should be watertight.

if that’s big Marco pass, plenty of shoaling warnings recommending favoring the red side.
  3. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Is this local knowledge, I imagine Active Captain or other Navionic type Apps would warn of this area, no?

Would this be a case for advocating for forward looking sonar or 3D transducers?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Numerous reports on active captain.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

OMG. Some few people want the "DAY" markers moved every time the sand shifts or the channel dredged.
    If they raise enough heck, The USACE and the USCG will just pull the markers and walk away.

If you operate in shallow water at speed and rip out your running gear???? Ship like this happens. SFB.

I have run my own boat in/out of there. Made some deliveries and stopped at Rose for fuel,, Like any other shallow water area (as leaving Ft Myers), you operate slow.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Anybody have it's position charted? It's hard to tell for sure from the news footage, but the area around the boat is clearly shallow and it looks like he may have shortcuted the corner where 2 channels meet unless he intentionally ran it into the shallows after doing the damage. Not an area I'd be in any kind of hurry going through with 85'.
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

It looks like she sold in August 2020 to her current owner.
  8. dewald

dewald Member

I have run that channel several times in the past few years, It is not a pleasant run. As CR said it is a place to run slow. As NYCap said, look at the Marker #'s and a chart. It looks like he was inbound from the the North and cut the channel. All Pilot/Captain error.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When you run aground it's always your fault, especially if you're running fast enough to rip the running gear out.. Markers are guides not gospel, and day marks are in shallow water to begin with. If you're going to run in shallows you have to know how to read the water.
  10. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Run hard and fast, WOT, No tab. ;)
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's pretty much how you have to run a yacht into the Rio Dulce in Guatamala.......Top speed and full tabs to get the stern up.....and hope you're in the right place.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Do you actually think a stern rides higher at WOT than at idle speed? Maybe with a hydroplane, but not on any yacht I've ever run.
  13. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Well at lower speeds in shallow water the venturi effect will pull the boat down considerably. The Carolina boats tab down hard and run on plane on the back of a wave to get thru Oregon inlets very shallow and rough bar. It's a hero or zero move but necessary if traveling thru it in typical conditions.
    Between the aerated water, large waves breaking on the stern( broach) and venturi effects it's not easily navigated at slow speeds.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Zero doesn't work out well when you're paid to take care of someone's boat. The way to enter a shallow inlet is to match your speed to the waves. Get on top of one and stay there. In shallow flat water though there's no excuse for letting the bow raise, especially where the shallows are so obvious as where this boat ran aground. This is a prime example of what zero looks like. At idle he most likely would have dug his bow into the sand or at worst bent a prop.
    kevin8tor likes this.
  15. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

I agree completely in calm conditions. My point about stern drop was that it's not possible to go slow in a lot of inlets. Riding the back of a wave is usually the correct way to enter. A big wave travels at or above 20 knots, that's where hero or zero happens. Tabs down hard to lift stern and ride her into the inlet. Touching bottom at that speed causing major damage and loss of propulsion, then broach, and rollover.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes it does ride higher IF you're running 25 knots or better and tab the tabs down all of the way to get stern lift. In very shallow areas (in some places) such as the Rio Dulce, Guatamala, Oregon inlet in NC, you have to......there's no other choice......
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

25 kts? Glad you clarified that. Is that with a 2,000 lb. boat or a 75,000 lb. boat or does that speed work for all boats? Some day take a look at the hole in the water behind your boat and where the water is at on you stern quarter as the displaced water rises up into a wake. Grant you that if when going fast you realize you're above shallows you don't want to pull your throttles back, and grant you better fast than mid-range with your bow up in the air, and coming into an inlet what you don't want to do is fall into the trough. There again you maintain the speed necessary to ride atop the wave. But no way was this yacht drawing less water at cruise speed than he would have been at idle, and that beautiful clear flat Florida bay water should have told him loud and clear what was about to happen.
  18. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Not to change the subject, but that was the most uninformed and juvenile "news" report I've heard in a long time.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's not exactly a hard news area. I expect their reporters are deciding between a career in TV news or Walmart.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yachts 45-75'. And yes, you draw less water on plane than at hull speed if you're over 25 knots, hence being "on plane", with the tabs buried, even the stern is up higher.