Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck

Bluewater yachts?

Discussion in 'Unique, Custom or New Yachts' started by robsides, Feb 15, 2010.

1. robsides

robsides New Member

Looking for information about bluewater yachts, a company from Minn that started some years ago to build customed ordered boats and built them in Taiwan. Does anyone have experience with these yachts? For a custom yacht the resale prices seem to be low. I cannot find a survey on one on the internet that says anything about the quality. There seem to be a lot of gas engines in these boat and a few diesels (not interested in gas).
    My wife and I are looking to buy a used live aboard trawler type boat to retire on in a couple of years. To make the loop and to go to the Bahamas.

I may be looking at wrong places but any help/information would be verythankful.
  2. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Bluewater yachts

It has been a while since I have seen one, but they looked like they were built more to run in protected waters or on a lake. The draft is pretty shallow if its the boat that I'm thinking about. They were more like houseboats than open water trawlers. They were a less expensive boat when they were new, which may account for the low price for their size.
  3. robsides

robsides New Member

Thanks dsharp and that may be true as alot of them are used in lakes, back in 2007 There was 52-58 ft anchored in Exumas when we were on a sailboat with friends for about 10 days. They were anchored out like the rest of us (about 45-50 boats) for a day or two and then we were in the dingy going off to snorkle and they beached it so guests/ladies could get off with out riding in a dingy and gettig wet (wind was blowing). When we got back about 3-4 hours later they were gone and that night folks talked about it, some not liking them and some said they were ok. (These are sail boat owners and most do not like boats if they are not powered sometimes by the wind...). Looking for some type of survey report to see if hull is solid, and does everything stay together, etc. There are some for sale on the net but most are gas, which means lakes/protected like you said Thanks for the info.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Bluewaters are in fact houseyachts (houseboats with a bow; a step up in sea handling). Very nice for the style. Others in it's class would be Harbor Master and Holiday Mansion. They can be a beast to dock because they have a lot of windage and very little draft. They're best for lakes and protected waters. If you're going to cross the Gulf Stream go for an actual trawler (or motoryacht, etc.). There's a reason you'll pay more than for a houseyacht.
  5. robsides

robsides New Member

Thanks NYCAP, that makes sense, we have looked at some trawlers but we want to look at everything. This will be slow process even in this market.
  6. mbgator

mbgator New Member

Bluewater

I have seen a couple of these. One belonged to an acquaintance in Tennessee, docked it on the Tennessee River around Knoxville. Nice boat for the conditions. Have seen another one on Lake Michigan last summer. Nice condition, but was having a difficult time pulling into the fuel dock. Very long, low and wide.
    Lots of sail area. Would not be my 1st, or 2nd choice for the loop. But as a live-aboard, would probably be great.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run the 70' and crossed the Gulf Stream in it and ran it from Ft. Laud to the Exumas about two years ago. I crossed and it was 6ft. seas on the nose. I did 13knots, but it was completely stable, but a bit wet in that sea. BUT, for the loop (which I've done) where it's mostly protected water 80% of the time, it's a great boat. It also has a shallow draft so you could do parts of the loop I couldn't do in the 75' Hatteras MY I did the loop in. They're roomy, beamy, and actually handle pretty well considering. i didn't have any issues with the wind docking it.
  8. Henning

Henning Senior Member

For what you say you want it for, it'll be ok. I've taken them back and forth to Catalina from Newport Beach and Marina Del Rey a few times, as long as you pick your day weather wise, no big issues. They are put together mostly with what I call "Level 2 and 3" parts and hardware, (Level 1= pot metal and junk, Level 5= "gold plated") so on older ones be expecting to replace hinges, latches, stanchion hardware and the like, but that's no big deal and typical of any boat in that price range. You won't want to take it offshore and beat into a head sea, but for your application, you don't need to either. Good open space on them with lots of window area which many people really like since it prevents claustrophobia. I haven't dealt with one in a while, but I don't hear about the hulls falling apart. They also have a low air draft so you fit under a lot of bridges. Shallow draft is very nice for the Bahamas. If you can get a good deal on one that doesn't get beaten up too badly on survey and you and your wife like it, I don't see a reason not to get one. Arnold Schwrtzeneggar used to charter one. ;)
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I'd say that's about the best classification I've heard for them.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

friends of mine had one for few years, went up and down the coast and even to the bahamas with minimal problems, although they got beat up a couple times, but they made it.

not my cup of tea... yes the shallow draft is nice (although there are many real boats with decent draft if you make that a priority) and for older folks the single level layout (staterooms/saloon/galley) is a big plus.

those i've seen dont' seem to age very well, they're closer to houseboard and (nice) trailers/RVs than "yachts" in my opinion.
  11. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

We work on lots of them here. (in fact have one up here in the yard right now)
    For a lake boat they are fine. One step up from a houseboat. Big party deck up top and lots of interior space.
    I agree on the low quality equip and hardware and most have gas engines.
    They make surprising speed with gas engines. However, they are fully cored boats and as I mentioned in another thread we had one stick a closet wall through a rotten (core) bottom. We have also had issues with recurring blisters on them (even after epoxy barrier coating). The local surveyors here also call the "flexible flyers" since they tend to bend and twist at speed.

It is what it is.... On a lake I would rather have a Bluewater than a houseboat but my choice would be to not take one of those offshore.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Pascal, You have one down you way that's been for sale forever. I believe it was used in commercial service. Anything you can add about that?
  13. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

I might add, if you are going to buy one of these, make sure your surveyor goes over every inch of it with a moisture meter.
  14. robsides

robsides New Member

To everyone, thanks for the information, we are looking and wanted to know what the feeling about this boat was and it appears it would/could have some unseen weaknesses. That is why I asked and really appriciate the information from folks who know. There is one in the Houston area we may look at just to look and compare. Have looked at some older Thompsons and Grand Banks. Both are good boats but need lots of upgrades. Thanks again
  15. csa02221862

csa02221862 New Member

I too have been looking for a Bluewater. I'm wondering whats going on with them, their web is gone and the phones aren't answered. Did they fail with the rest of the economy?
  16. robsides

robsides New Member

I guess they did no phone no web site anymore. I think I will skip the blue waters
  17. lornec

lornec New Member

Bluewater yachts

There is a broker in Knoxville, Tn, VIP Yachts , that lists Bluewaters.
    Theres a 52' available in Clearwater , Fl w/ gas, a 52' in Chesapeake Bay area w/ diesel and a 59' in Biloxi, Ms w/ diesel. They all have low hours on the engines.
    The company itself has gone out of business.
  18. donno

donno New Member

I own the 1984 Bluewater 47ft sedan cruiser. I've had it for 7 yrs. now and think, for the money it's the best yacht on the river. This is not the houseboat version, but the flybridge motor yacht. They only built it 3yrs 1982, 83, 84. I own the 1984 model. It will go 20Knots but burns a huge amount of gas so we usually run at 10Knots and enjoy the ride. It has a lot of room, both inside and out and is very comfortable with parties of 12 to 16 people. My wife and I live aboard in the summer and enjoy it very much, with a large kitchen and bathroom, an island queen in the master bedroom. The hull is solid fiberglass and the upper structure is cored with plywood. I have done some repairing to the core where some leaks have softened the wood, but nothing too serious. If you want a good looking practical yacht for a reasonable price this is it.
  19. hollandcruiser

hollandcruiser New Member

gas use

@ donno

what si the gas use of your blue water... We are thinking of buying the 51 ft. but coming from Holland I am used to a boat that size with a 125 hp engine and this one has 2 350 hp engines. How much gas will it burn ?
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Most sailboaters are pretty open-minded and quite a few of us has had a career in the Navy or the Merchant Marine on vessels powered by anything but the wind. Suggest you speak for yourself.

That sounds like a good reason to stay far away from these boats: The Bluewater name would be another reason, or a joke..:(