Click for Westport Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

Bluewater coastal cruiser remodel questions

Discussion in 'Unique, Custom or New Yachts' started by PABain71, Jul 15, 2018.

1. PABain71

PABain71 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am purchasing a 50' Bluewater coastal cruiser to use as a live aboard and have plans to do some remodel work. Specifically flooring and galley. Looking at Ikea cabinets or home depot cabinets and wood or synthetic/vinyl flooring. Has anybody used these type products in a boat and how do they perform?
    Also, this boat will be in the San Francisco Bay area and I would appreciate if anybody out there knows contractors or people in the are who have experience working on boat remodel projects and can make a referral.

Thanks!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This would be the BW houseboat? Can you send a pic to verify the model? There were a couple or more BlueWater brands out there.
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Just make sure the cabinets are not made from partical board or similar as it will absorb moisture and you what happens then
  4. PABain71

PABain71 New Member

This is the model of Bluewater.

Thanks for the tip about particle board. I wasn't sure if that was a concern or not. This is my first boat purchase, so any information helps.

Attached Files:

5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, We know the model now. Gas or diesel?
  6. PABain71

PABain71 New Member

Gas Crusader engines.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, I am familiar with this mfg and model.
    As long as you are planning a live aboard. Maybe cruising the upper bay and rivers. NOTHING ELSE.

Home D used to sell real red oak cabinet doors. Varnished, looked like teak or mahogany pending the varnish.
    Or, paint what you have and upgrade the hardware. I remember Zamac everywhere.

Stay with cored counters or Famica covered tops. Those real stone tops will crack the next time the boat flexes. You don't want the weight either.

Many companies out there sell plastic wood looking floor strips.

As a cautious boater, you would usually have a gas Westerbeke generator forward.
    Please ensure you have a CO detector in every area. The interior ventilation in these models sux.

Just watch your weight and ridged additions. You can make her pretty.

Honestly, I have a bad taste for this model. It's shallow drive systems, low Free-board, poor ventilation and many other issues (and gas), I do need to pass on a big be care full while on board in a light sprinkle of rain. It looks cool. They sold a bunch just on it's looks.
    I hope your surveyor did his home work and reported all historys in detail.
  8. PABain71

PABain71 New Member

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are having the survey done in a week.
    It’s definitely my plan to use it only as a live a board and the occasional cruise around the bay. But I appreciate your comments about the boat and ventilation. Our broker used to sell these boats and turned us onto them, but didn’t mention ventilation concerns.
    Can you elaborate on what you meant by being careful in light rain?
    Thank you again for your comments and advice. They are very helpful
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A very fair day use type of boat.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You don't want IKEA cabinets, they are particle board and will fall apart. You're going to need real wood cabinets......or best would probably be to re-formica or revarnish what you have. Or use a synthetic countertop on them like Corian or similar.