Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Blubay 135´ "Hemisphere"

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Henrik, May 11, 2004.

1. Henrik

Henrik New Member

a question!

Did someone of you know anything about the 135´catamaran Hemisphere build by Blubay yachts? On their website www.blubay.com you can see some photos of her in the middle of the construction. But these pics are never updated .... I think they are 2 or 3 years old and this boat is already on the water (or it's maybe cancelled during construction?)

I would like to hear (and see) something more of her, because I got some computer renderings and really like her design. My e-mail I send Blubay yachts nearly 1 year ago was never answered.

So please keep your eyes open and your cameras ready for a close shot :D
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Henrik,

I checked out the link you provided. Blubay has some very nice designs, including their website. It appears part of their business is focused on interior aircraft design, as they have contracts with Airbus. If you get any more information or pictures, please keep us updated.
  3. MSD

MSD New Member

I have been told that the boat was destroyed in a fire at the shipyard two weeks before delivery.
  4. Henrik

Henrik New Member

oh... even after such long time i have posted this, it is a bad message. but thank you of course, even for such bad news!
    "blubay" sent me a brochure some years ago and i always waited to see one of their yachts in the water. they even had plans for a bigger catamaran but the 135´was the best in my opinion. i'm wondering there are no more cients for such yacht.

now i am looking forward to get more news from the two masted, 65m reverse bow falcon rig yacht from ken freivokh. i love this design which looks like a sailing yacht whoch can go right up to the moon... haha.
    look here --> http://www.freivokh.com/ (then go to "projects" and there to "65m falcon rig sailing yacht") a diret link doesn't work. i love this design which is very futuristic and modern... i would love to see it as a model or of course in real - but i'm sue it will take some time to find a buyer for this design maybe.

from hamburg
    henrik
  5. peterclarke

peterclarke New Member

Hemesphere

Good news! I believe Hemesphere was rescued from a junk yard in America & then shipped to Falmouth (UK) along with a good number of containers. She arrived in Falmouth at the back end of 2009. The boat is currently being completed by Pendennis Super Yachts of Falmouth & is believed to be ready for the water at the end of 2011!!
  6. Henrik

Henrik New Member

thanks for the news.. good to hear this!
  7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I believe you are talking of two different yachts.

Hemisphere (project Gemini) was being built by Derectors yard in the USA, then unfinished it was shipped to Pendennis to be completed.
    http://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/news-categories/cornish-economy-news-categories/pendennis-works-on-worlds-largest-catamaran-123

http://luxurycatamaran.blogspot.com/2008/04/gemini-project-becomes-hemisphere.html

the BluBay vessel is here:
    http://www.coste-design.com/yachts.php?debut=10

Here are a couple other Blubay concepts from early on:
    http://runningtideyachts.com/design-references/design-references-10.php
  8. Henrik

Henrik New Member

thank you for the links! even after 6 years i still like the design of the blubay 135' cat.
  9. JJ Coste

JJ Coste New Member

Story of Hemisphere

Dear Henrik,

I am very glad that you are still liking the lines of Hemisphere on which I did the first sketches ten years ago !!!
    The building of the boat started in 2002 at Dannish Yachts, Skagen in Denmark. The boat was fully built in sandwich carbon fibber and showed many innovative solutions which are today present as standard in many sail cat, she was the first to offer a real fly bridge, a huge aft hydraulical platform and a forward cabin, etc...
    The construction started as a spec boat and we sold her to a sympathic and well known owner who name her Hemisphere. This owner improved the specification and several month before the launching, she was looking impressive and the few people who have seen her were impressed by the volume and the quality of the building.
    Hemisphere was totaly destroyed by a sudden fire in her shed the 4th of July 2004, two months before her delivery.
    I am still sad when I remember her...
    All the best,

Jean-Jacques Coste
  10. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Dear Jean-Jacques,

thank you for your reply! yes, i still like the design and think it looks much better than most other sailing cats today. i wonder there are - as it seems - no other clients which would like to build such yacht and especially in catamarans there are so many ugly boats on the water, sail and motor powered. ok tastes are different but for me the blubay 135' is by far the best design for a sail cat.
    thank you and best wishes from hamburg!
    henrik
  11. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well....best design and good looks are mostly down to personal tastes and preferences but the "Hemisphere" is a good looking CAT no doubt.
  12. Henrik

Henrik New Member

oh.. of course!!! i was only speaking for myself and my taste. but sometimes i really wonder about people who spend millions and millions of euros for something really bad in my eyes. "rising sun" of mr. ellision is such yacht which is in my eyes the by far worst looking yacht afloat! haha, my english is not good enough to say how much i dislike it.. but i know there are many out there who like it. no problem, if we all wouldn't have different tastes our world would be very boring.....

normally i am more a fan of motoryachts but there a few designs in sailing yachts i really like. the blubay 135' is one of them and i wonder that there was never another one built.