Click for MotorCheck Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Comfort

| Blohm + Voss | 119M | M/Y "A" -ex.Project "Sigma" - | 2008 |

Discussion in 'Blohm & Voss Yacht' started by YachtForums, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Many things Brian. The funnels seem gold in different light and silverish in other intensities of light. They have finished up the two pools - there is a very large circular pool on the aft and a long lap-like pool under the hardtop infront the superstructure-.

They have added the wind-scoops for wind directions to heli-operations. The helipad seems complete but I wonder if it is a hydraulic pad like on Ilona or Ecstasea? Also they would have been putting the finishing touches on the interior.
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Err, is the helipad on the bow or stern? Seems like enough room either way ...

Kelly
  3. brunick

brunick Senior Member

it's on the bow area - very big by the way ...
  4. dskira

dskira Guest

The project Sigma is one of the sikest naval creation I ever seen. I am amazed that a person with little knoveldge about yacht, decided to go with this ego designer oriented floating thing. The reverse bow as designed even with the very proeminent chine, will surprise a lot of people when plowing in bad weather. Blom and Voss had the reputation to be one of the most prestigious yard. How come they agree to built that, is behond my comprehension.
    See and nature should be taken seriously, not insulted. My experience show that ego-oriented design are back on the market in no time, or just fade away, because they are the wrong aproach in yacht design very often hidding the lake of knoweldge of the designer. The naval architect at B&V must have spend a lot of time to make right this very wrong hydrodinamic design, and I am not sure they can succed in that case. As for the superstructure, every one has is taste, but to be so close to a Middle Age shoe, it is indeed impresive in lake of understanding of proportions and design.
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

The proportions and design were what impressed me most.

Kelly
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Dskira,
    There is a lot of debate about the looks of Sigma and of her potential resale value because of that, but you seem to have forgotten that some people march to a different drummer and lead not follow. Also, if they've got that kind of serious cash flow their ideas maybe shouldn't be dismissed off hand. They've obviously done a few things right in their lives. People once dismissed a radical design by a couple of bicycle builders named Orville & Wilbur and something referred to as a horseless carraige by another fellow. Sigma is designed behind sound principles. As anyone who's riden a sub can tell you it's a lot more comfortable going through a wave than over it, and the structure at the rear has been on tankers for a long time.
    Will she work? Will elements of her design catch on? Only time will tell. Personally, I like boats I can recognize from a couple of miles off. Even if I might not want to own them at least they're interesting.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to YF.

Did you happen to get out of the wrong side of bed this morning?
  8. Big Bird

Big Bird New Member

Sigma

I live in Kiel and drive by HDW regularly to see what types of vessels are hanging around. I spotted the Sigma on May 23. I had no idea what this yacht was all about but since have educated myself. Very interested design to say the least.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hey Dskira,
    K1W1 put it well, and although it was directed to you it applies to me as well. I kind of took you to task last night and want to apologize. I was cranky. (Although I stand by my coments I could have been nicer).
    So listen skipper, Welcome to YF.:cool:
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

There was nothing wrong with your comments NYCapt. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Dskira... when you jump into a forum with both guns blazing, you best be prepared to have a few shots placed over your bow. You claim to be a yacht designer in your profile. If that's true and you wish to succeed, I'd like to offer some advice...

1. Learn how to spell
    2. Until such time as you've actually seen the bottom of this boat, I suggest you keep your speculative comments regarding hydrodynamics at bay.
    3. If you don't like the design, then step up and show the world something better.
  11. dskira

dskira Guest

Hi Publisher and Administrator,
    I am a naval architect and yacht designer for 39 years, yard owner for 20 years, and thank you for your advises but I did and do very well.
    I can back up every world I says. Do not worry I am very well trained, and very well prepared! I show the world a lot, but that you have to learn it also.
    Please don't insult me with spelling, it is low class and not politicaly incorrect. If you have a problem with gramar, be a school teacher.
    by the way I worked on sub, and it was very interresting, thank you.
    K1W1 you wright, I was cranky like an old grumpy, sorry about that. I like your picture.
  12. HONGKONG

HONGKONG Senior Member

Yakov Smirnoff

My wife was looking over my shoulder as I read this thread and said "It's never to early in the day for Yakov Smirnoff!"

By the way K1W1, you might be getting lucky!
  13. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

The modern under water hull and very efficient stabilisers will guarantee a very good behaviour under normal weather conditions. Only in very rough sea, the ship moves much more up and down than conventional ships, because of the missing displacement of the upper bow, but it may be that the owner exactly likes these movements.

But over all the design can split the people in two parties. People who like the design and people who don't like it.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If what you say above (albeit full of bad grammar and spelling like your first post) would you care to share with the rest of the forum any of the vessels you have designed in the last 39 years?

It is easy to hide behind the anonymity of the Internet but when you arrive somewhere as a newbie and start to go off like a sprayed bug it would help your case if you had something to back up your statements.
  15. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

---:D :D ---
  16. dskira

dskira Guest

Since it seams that freedom of expression is less important than "Spelling" and you have also a grammar teacher syndrome, you should do your homework (like at school) and you will know everything you need to know.
    You are also hidden behind the anonimity of the internet, so what is wrong with that. K1W1 Is not your name, dskira is mine, don't says something very inapropriate when yourself is far more "Hidden" than me.
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

dskira,

Kindly do not confuse "freedom of expression" with "permission to post unmitigated bashing and criticism".

Secondly, while you might not know who K1W1 is, others here do. A screen-name only offers anonymity if people don't already know the person face to face. Also, as far as I know, K1W1 did not introduce himself as an expert within minutes of deciding to contribute to the forums. Humility... you might give it a try.

Lastly, please take a moment to read the Forum Guidelines, to which I've provided a link. If your attacks continue your posts will be removed.
  18. dskira

dskira Guest

1,319 post is ideed very impressive.
    I says what I want about yacht because I can. I don't have to be "Humble" Sorry it's not in my vocabulary. I agree with you that a entering a Forum doesn't make you an expert, a life as a naval architect yes.
    For the attacks, sorry, I just reply, but that seams not very well understood.
    My spelling perhaps?
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

A valid question. We appreciate it when members of the industry participate here at YF.com so perhaps dskira would like to share his latest yacht design or build with us...
  20. PFJW

PFJW New Member

I don't understand why you say this when you say you are a designer yourself?

How would you feel if someone dismissed one of your designs so readily with no factual information about the real-world hydrodynamic performance to base their criticisms on?

Disliking something is perfectly fair, but not carte blanche to essentially insult the intelligence and capabilities of everyone involved in the project.

I think Sigma should be applauded for the commitment that the yard, owner and designer had to produce something different for a change. Of course they could have done something conventional, well proven, conservative and considerably cheaper if they had wanted, but those things already exist.

I also think it looks fantastic - there are plenty of "retro" designs around; why not have at least one yacht that looks as if it was built 100 years in the future rather than 100 years in the past?

If you don't like it there are thousands of other yachts out there to capture your interest.

And if the hull doesn't work, or if the design is too radical to re-sell; it isn't your money, you don't have to live aboard, so why fret about it?