Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Comfort

Black tank on ferretti

Discussion in 'Ferretti Yacht' started by Allythefox, Jun 13, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Perhaps your tank is back-filling with sea water? If the thru-hull valve is always open, try closing it to test.

-Chris
  2. gsholz

gsholz New Member

89 gallons should be adequate for 4 people. If it fills up that quickly you might have a sticking vacuum breaker in the vented loop in the discharge line which can cause sea water so siphon back into your tank. Cleaning the vent fixed it for me but drove home the fact that it is possible to sink your boat via the holding tank.
  3. Ron Eisenberg

Ron Eisenberg New Member

I am new to this site and do not know how to reply to two posts that people have made regarding the Black Water holding tank post that I made. Can someone guide me?
  4. Ron Eisenberg

Ron Eisenberg New Member

Please ignore previous post. I see the two posts by Ranger42C and Gsholz above. I will pass this info on to Ferretti. I am hoping that another Ferretti owner with the same tank capacity can chime in. To me it seems that the amount of fresh water being used on each flush is causing the issue. Ferretti says that 1 gal is used per flush. That seems very excessive to me. On my prior 60 Ft Sea Ray, I had a Sealand system and could control the amount of fresh water flushed by how long i held down the pedal. On this new Ferretti, i cannot control the water flow. It is pre set, and because the bowl is always vacumed to empty, one has to do a pre flush for a bowel movement, and then a flush, which uses twice as much water.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

89 gallons tank on an an 80 footer is a joke... should be at least twice that.

What kind of heads do you have? Headhunters are pretty common in that size range, and the duration of the flush can be adjusted.

That said the tank shouldn't fill up that quickly. Assuming there is an overboard discharge pump make sure it s not back filling the tank. It shouldn't but who knows what kind of pump and set up ferretti used

In most places you can discharge treated blackmwater (unless in a NDZ). The problem is that over 60/65' the cost of approved treatment system is pretty high
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I had an issue where a head water valve was leaking just a bit. You could not see it without placing paper on the inner bowl.
    It was the cleanest bowl on the ship, maybe that could be a hint.
  7. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

There's a "Reply" hotlink in the lower right corner of each message. Clicking that quotes the message to which you are replying and opens the editor for your own contribution. Type away. You can also delete bits from the quoted message if you intend to speak only to a certain point or two...

-Chris
  8. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Are your toilets a fresh water or seawater system. In my experience a seawater system is why they smell.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I seriously doubt ferretti installed sea water heads in an 80 footer :)