Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Comfort Click for Mulder

BioDiesel

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Marmot, Mar 12, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

So I gather that the general consensus is that the algae based fuels (perhaps with some mixing) will likely work well as aviation fuel. If they can take some otherwise unproductive portion of land(s) near brackish water supplies and produce a good commercial aviation fuel supply, then that might considerable help alleviate the overall world need for traditional petroleum based fuel.

That would be a good thing, ......and justifies continued research and discussions of Algae Fuels
  2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Brian I would aggree with your final synopsis. No problem for turbines, jet engines and aviation piston engines without exhaust aft treatment. For onroad purposes only as E85 to E100 petrol type fuel (like in Brazil) in order to meet the EPA / EURO directives with catalytic converters of all kinds.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I could see Biodiesel used in old motors/generators. But until a major company (oil or otherwise) gets behind it, none of the engine manufacturers will get behind it, and then you have issues with EPA etc.
  4. Marcio Veiga

Marcio Veiga Guest

Here in Brazil is law use B 5.In my cummins 8.3 ctaa year 2000 it works very fine.Our diesel is D 10
    and the research shows that 5% Bio compensates by far the less lubrication.
    Last time changed for synthetic oil 5w30,the machines loved,are spending 10% less oil with better performance.