Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights

Biggest fish you've ever hooked?

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Manny, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Manny

Manny Senior Member

I'm curious to know what's the biggest fish you've ever hooked on your sportfisher.

I once hooked a HUGE blue marlin, and I can honestly say it was no less than 1,400 pounds, hell it was longer than the beam of my 54' bertram! It all happened in the internation billfish tournament in 1994, the tournament where people from around the world from their location have to hook the largest billfish. I would've wiped the floor with the one I hooked, but it all went by very fast. Many costly mistakes caused me to lose it: I was using an 80 lb rode with 110 lb line, I didn't rig enough fishing line on the reel, and instead of an experienced fisherman controlling the boat, my friend who doesn't have much experience at all managed the boat wrong, wince with that fish the logical thing would've been to go along side the fish and chace it. WOuld've won the tournament with that one, since the guy that won only got a 700 pounder.

It was an amazing site though, when that marlin showed its bill and tail, the thing was larger than the beam of the boat, which I still couldn't believe. And there's one thing I've always regretted; that marlin took my lucky conehead, the one I used to win the July 4th tournament twice in a row. I always hooked a marlin with that, but that monster took it :(
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Fish stories, not landed but hooked. This should be interesting. I expect Jonah will be on line shortly.:D :D :D
  3. Rob M

Rob M New Member

The biggest fish I have ever hooked or landed (released) was this Blue I caught off of Kona last July. She is 14'6" long and would have weighed well over a grand if we would have taken her. This replica mount was made based on the measurements of the actual fish.

Attached Files:

4. Kenny's Toy

Kenny's Toy New Member

Landed a 1086 lbs Blue Marlin in 1996, it was landed after a 50 minute fight on 80 pound test in Aruba :cool:

Fought a grander 2 years ago for 6 hours on 50 pound test in a Tournament in Curacao. had the fish to the boat 3 times, but not close enough, lost it in end :mad:
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

5'-1" tall. Roughly 100 pounds. Golden brown eyes. Olive skin. Very Italian, and quite striking if you ask me. :)
    She is a great catch, a wonderful mother of our children, and a great travel companion.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I give you a lot of credit for releasing that fish and letting it live another day instead of all of the boneheads that have to hang it on the dock for no good reason other then pride and wasting a beautiful fish.
  7. tunahead

tunahead New Member

Bluefin

1065 lbs. off Stellwagon Bank. 8/23/83