Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Best Underwater Lights

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SRQcaptain, Sep 14, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This would be cool and welcome. Look forward to pics and your thoughts while installing them
    ,rc
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The other ones, are just like installing a thru-hull in the boat. You drill the hole, seal the light assembly with 5200 and tighten the nut on the inside, there are still electrical boxes (ballast etc.) that have to be installed, but if you're capable with doing wiring it's not too complicated. HOWEVER, space to mount them and access to install the boxes can be difficult on a lot of 26'. Most installations of the exterior mounted LED's, they run the wiring up the transom and above the waterline and then into the boat to prevent water leaking in, also sealed with 5200.
  3. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Hi All,

I have a question about underwater lighting. We have a 42 GB and I have considered transom lighting but I have not yet researched it. What I wonder about is how difficult is it to replace a blown bulb? It seems like the boat would have to come out of the water...Is this true?

Another poster mentioned downward facing lights. I really like that idea and I bet it is very cool in clear water! I have not knowingly seen this configuration yet, just transom mounted lights.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help...
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The bulbs on most all of them can be removed and changed from the backside (boatside) of the fixture.
  5. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Ok, that's good. I gather this would only apply to the true "thru hull" types, not the surface mounted lights that only require a small hole to accomodate a wire. So if I were going to really consider underwater lights I would probably rule out surface mounted lights unless I wanted to go to the yard every time a bulb blows...
  6. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi there,
    As far as I know, surface mounted lights last only for the light lifetime, so once its dead, you change the whole unit, that is why they are cheaper than the thru-hull models, they even come in affordable set packages. Anyways, after 3000-5000 hours lifetime I think you will be hauling out anyway for other maintenance works so it is not a big deal.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have never seen ANY LED bulb last 3-5000 hours in my life. I have seen hundreds, if not thousands fail, far below that number. I think the rating they apply to the bulbs is if the bulb has perfect conditioned electricity and is left on continously, because I have changed countless LED bulbs far sooner than that.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Including water cooled too..? ;)
  9. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

My point was that it will last fairly enough until one would be hauling out anyway. I wish one day things will live to the life expectancy stated by manufacturers, until then, nothing does!
  10. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Sooooo, what is the reasonable life for LEDs then? Even if LED life theoretically extends the few seasons between trips to the hill that does not mean it will not fail sometime well before a scheduled haul out. That would mean I live with a blown (useless) light until next scheduled haul out or go early. Which is not cheap.

Now I'm leaning back toward the thru hulls again...
  11. Berean

Berean Senior Member

12. aviator4512

aviator4512 Member

We have a Sea Ray Sedan Bridge in the family with lights mounted on the bottom of the hull facing downward. While they illuminate in clear water, most of the waters (LI Sound, etc.) around the Northeast are not as clear, so i'd probably only recommend this for boats based down in Florida/Bahamas.
  13. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Yamaha runabout, flush-mount LED, still running 2+ years.
    Azimut 75FBMY, thru-transom LED, still running around 4 years,
    Azimut 101S, thru-transom metal-halide, still running 2 years,
    Bennetti 120, thru-transom metal-halide, worked around 3 years, changed once before, previously had halogen which barely worked.

Do you have space to install and maintain? Do you have enough power to run when needed? Price? Desired light spread and penetration? Lifetime expectancy? Color? Replacement parts availability when needed?

Answering these questions in my opinion will guide you through your choice.

Cheers,
    Alf
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm picking up some points here.
    More questions; I assume rear facing lights in the transom are more fun than down facing or would both directions be ideal for fun and fishing?
    If mounted in the transom facing aft, at speed they would be out of the water, are they going to overheat then? shorten life?
    I also thought about mounting them under the swim platform or in/on the trim tabs. Avoid a hole in the hull, can change mfg easily, can unbolt and service with out hauling. Any body been here yet? Ideas?

,rc
  15. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Yeah thanks.

Colors. Are the LEDs monochromatic or can certain ones change colors? You know, kinda like the fiber lights around a swimming pool...
  16. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

RC: The down facing lights work better in clearer water, aft facing lights start at horizontal and spread downward a bit, I find the latter to be better fun since the "fish-view-field" will be behind you rather than below you. Underwater lights MUST be submerged in at least 12" of water and around 24-30" is what I saw on most large boats.

Berean: LEDs that are around nowadays as far as my shopping has gone are in 3 colors, white, green and blue, mono colors that is.

Cheers,
  17. Berean

Berean Senior Member

I'm curious where you are shopping. On line?
  18. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Online for information mostly, I like to touch what am buying before I proceed with purchase!
  19. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Got it, thanks...
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Timely thread... I ve had issue with 3 Abysslites that we installed 4 years ago. I ve had 3 replaced under warranty already. They claimed to have a bad batch of defective resin that was incompatible with the LEDs.

Now another one has failed and they claim that it s because no sealant was used behind the fixture... When pressed on whether the fixtures are water proof as sold the excuse switched to the wire not being waterproof and if exposed to water would allow water to come in the fixture. Never mind that the copper conductors show no sign of corrosion...

Time to shop for a replacement 5 3/4 diam fixture