Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

Best Quality Brands of 5-20 years old used motor yachts 40-75 feet?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Joe Deepwater, Feb 10, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Joe Deepwater

Joe Deepwater Member

In what ways? Sorry for the dumb question but I have no experience with cats.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Nothing beats a Deere.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

John Deere's are good but their HP/weight ratio's are not good for non displacement yachts.

Pods do cost more to maintain. In a twin engine installation they offer a lot of benefits: 30-40% more fuel economy, skyhook/dps, joystick maneuverability that isn't matched by any other system, more room inside the boat or engine room, much less vibration and noise. The breakdown is if you're doing more than 50 hours a year, the increased maintenance cost pays for itself. 100-150 hours a year and the fuel savings shine.

Now in a triple engine installation, fuel economy is only 10-15% better and A LOT more maintenance and expense, and in quads there are no fuel savings...….just more expense......in these situations, unless you NEED the joystick or skyhook capability it's best to pass.
  4. Joe Deepwater

Joe Deepwater Member

Brochure and spec sheets only hit the highlights. It just seemed like a lot of new boat for the money.

We enjoy ppl, so the more, the merrier. I've asked my wife what she thought about inviting this or that strangers passersby to join us on board for a short ride and a drink. Hard to judge a book by it's cover, but then the lawyer and liability sirens sound. Such a shame and a wasted opportunity to meet new ppl.
  5. Joe Deepwater

Joe Deepwater Member

I assume the italics mean avoid Deere's?
  6. Joe Deepwater

Joe Deepwater Member

We are looking at used 52-55 foot 3BR MY with a 5 year time horizon. But gut told me that there will be an excess of 70-90 footers for sale in the next 10 years based on foot traffic at the Miami Yacht show. It just seemed like very few ppl were on the larger boats. Maybe this show was an outlier and I'm by no means an expert but you certainly couldn't blame it on the weather. I saw a 60' Absolute and a 1997 76' Mochi Craft with a 22 foot beam that were still stylish despite the years. Thoughts on me giving consideration to these older and larger boats in the next 5 years? Or stick to my original 52-55' range? Pros? Cons?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh no, quoting their advertisement line.
    I am a big Deere fan.
    Lots of 4.5 and 6.8L equipment up here. All good stuff and easy to work on.
    Supported by a great local shop.
  8. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Yaw, Pitch, Roll, Sway, Heave and Surge are all different in a monohull compared to a cat. I don't mean to say better or worse, but different. I am not talking about stability at anchor either.
    Hobby Horse comes to mind when I see cats. I may be wrong by they seem to Pitch more that comparable length monohulls.

I am coming at this from a sailing perspective as well. I have never been on a power cat, other than a water taxi from Vallejo to SanFran.
  9. revluc

revluc Member

It's actually:

Nothing Runs Like a Deere

And I agree with your comments about their engines, but I grew up in the biggest Deere country place in the world...so I am just a little bias!
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Bottom line; We like Deere equipment. Great stuff in a yacht.
    Just serviced the new 9.0L engines. WOW.
    I understand there is a 13.5L block out there. Cant wait to take a peek.
    Remember my area; last to see anything new.
  11. Worthy vessel

Worthy vessel Member

If I read this thread right sounds like people like the Sunseeker over Neptunus in the 60-65’ range
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends. They're both good brands in that era. Sunseeker has pluses over Neptunus and Neptunus has pluses over Sunseeker. Just depends on what your needs are.
  13. Worthy vessel

Worthy vessel Member

Would you be concerned that the boat only gets up to 28.3 mph when it is advertised to do 31 mph. It does get up to 2300 rpm
  14. Worthy vessel

Worthy vessel Member

Talking about the 62 Neptunus with C18 CATS
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

How many hours?

If it turns rated RPM I doubt it s a dirty bottom / running gear issue. Either the advertised numbers were optimistic (often the case) and / or that specific boat is loaded up with stuff.

I guess the owner could have taken pitch out of the prop to turn RPM and make up for weak engines or too much weight.

A couple of knots difference between advertised and real works isn’t much. What did the cat display show? Load, fuel flow, boost and temp

Hint for future sea trial, especially on electronic engines, take pictures or videos of the engine displays
  16. Worthy vessel

Worthy vessel Member

I did take pic. Oversize Images Removed
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Can’t read the boost, flow, temp and load :(
  18. Worthy vessel

Worthy vessel Member

That’s all I have at that rpm
    Would lower rpm help
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No they need to turn rated RPM when flat out.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That seems awefully light on speed, what speed did the boat cruise at, at 80% load? The last one I remember running cruised at 23 knots. 22 knots wouldn't be worry some and if you like the boat go with it. They could have taken pitch out of the props somewhere along the way and probably did. The aftermarket aluminum hard top probably would have necessitated taking some pitch out of the props due to the additional weight, whenever and wherever that was done. There are many factors that effect speed on a yacht of this age. I've seen many layer of bottom paint effect speed by 2 knots on a 2007 yacht by 2014. Had the bottom soda blasted to gel coat, new barrier coat and bottom paint (over what was already a clean bottom but many layers prior) and we picked up 2 knots and kept the 2 knots at cruise and top. We never were shy on top rpms prior to the soda blasting. I inspected this particular yacht for another customer months ago and told you my thoughts, it showed a lot of signs of abuse and neglect over years and there was another one that was maintained perfectly it's entire life and near pristine for it's age. That being said, without hauling the boat and seeing the bottom, who knows, it might just be a dirty bottom. So yes, it's entirely feasible to lose 3 MPH or 2 knots on a yacht that's 10-15 years old. Who knows where the advertised speed came from or who took it, or how they took it (light on everything, cold air temperatures, with a current behind them?). It sounds like the motors are performing perfectly. If you like the boat have a full survey done and go from there.