Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

Best place to buy a MAN Engine cylinder block?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by zappiros, Aug 26, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. zappiros

zappiros New Member

Hello, I need some advice in a good place to buy a MAN D 2842 LE 423 Engine cylinder block, any help will be apprecciated, thanks
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. zappiros

zappiros New Member

Dear k1w1, thanks for your reply, th block has a damage crack in the cylinder wall, alowing water to come in to the combustion chamber, and viceversa....dont know exactly how this happend but mechanic suggest to replace block....
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If it is a non liner engine it is most likely possible to bore out the damaged cylinder and fit a dry liner from another engine type with the same bore or get one made to suit.

I have seen this done a few times when I was doing my apprenticeship and the engines ran perfectly after that.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's called a sleeve, or having the engine sleeved. Liners are made to be put in and taken out.

If the block has a crack all of the way into the coolant passage, I don't know if sleeving it would be strong enough......a crack that deep has usually weekened the block too much IMO. Also where the poster is located, it's a lot more cost effective to change it out once, than taking a chance IMO.

Try Gold Coast power in fort lauderdale, I see them advertise lots of MAN stuff from time to time.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I wish you would stop trying to cloud the waters with your little bit of knowledge sometimes.

I have personally done it using a liner out of one engine into a different one. It was a cylinder liner sometimes referred to as a sleeve by the less than well informed.

Read this you might learn something http://www.ehow.com/list_6938044_types-cylinder-liners.html
  7. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

The D2842 engines are wet liner engines. I am surprised he is wanting to replace the block as opposed to just the liner kit for that cylinder?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds like the block itself is cracked and leaking coolant into places it shouldn't.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Maybe you should get your terminology correct. When one installs a liner into a block that is not designed to have removable liners,and the liner/sleeve is usually frozen and then usually pressed in with a machine press it is then called a sleeve and sleeving a block.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090109191444AAtaUBN

A Cylinder liner on the other hand, is a liner that is designed to be installed and removed without any major tools to facilitate a quicker rebuild without having to take the engine block to a machine shop.A liner is generally only held in by the cylinder head bolted on top of it.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I wish you would actually read what was written or maybe you do and as your head is so full of thoughts of how much you know fail to translate the written words into some understandable low frequency grunts decipherable to your control centre.

The procedure I suggested when I asked of it was a non liner engine (which we now know it isn't) was:

Furthermore, If you had ever had any hands on activity with anything other than yourself you would maybe know that a dry liner is a press fit into the block regardless of whether it came from the factory with liners or you bored out the block and fitted one. Wet Liners - You know those heavy walled things sealed by O Rings can usually be removed and refitted without tools. That is not the sort of Liner I was saying could be adapted to solve the problem.
  11. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Careful there CaptJ, you should know better than be telling an engineer about terminology in engines. Next you will be telling the owner you can re-sleeve that engine while running the engine underway as you where out running a hurricane.

In the very first post he states it is a MAN D2842 LE 423 engine, straight away you should know that it is a common rail 12 cylinder engine with removable cylinder liners.

If there is water coming into the cylinders he has a cracked cylinder liner, cracked head or a leaking head gasket. He should be able to replace one of those components without the need to replace a block.

On the other hand if he does have a cracked block he is much more likely to be leaking water into the oil side of things etc.

Now if you had some kind of engineering experience you would know that you can carry out "in-situ" boring but more importantly you would also be aware that very few engines of any reasonable size come with cylinders that are not removable.

As for pressing in sleeves, if the tolerances are correctly machined and you freeze the sleeve to the correct temperature along with the block being nice and warm you should be able to slide it on in there by hand. You may have watched some good guys sliding cutlass bearings into struts, if done correctly they do not bring a machine press under the boat to force it in.

Note the "done correctly". Also sleeves can be installed and then they are all bored on a machine but that is usually for performance gas engines.

PS. try taking a few older liners out of some engines that I have worked on and you would find that "major tools" are required but that was with the engine stopped. :cool:
  12. Freespool

Freespool New Member

Odds are a cracked head on that engine.