Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Best place for Epirb on 62 sport fish

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Jun 8, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Where s a good place to mount on 62 conv sportfish?
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

In my option, on larger boats, it's best to have two EBIRBs. One hard mounted where it hopefully can float free as the vessel goes down. And one you keep in the ditch bag to go over with you into the raft or tender you may be bailing out into.

As to the best place for your EPIRB to be mounted, it's hard to say with out seeing the boat. But in the case of a sport fish with a tower the best place might be on top of the top for the tuna tower. It might give it the best chance of floating free of any obstructions as the boat goes under.
  3. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Hmm. I'd fear the sun would break down the poly carb frame and body. But I guess it does have to float away. I did sign up for the extra service which allows you to press test to send coord to email list. That seems to be similar to the spot gps device that would allow you to keep in touch vs long lat. anyone used this 406link service?
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I was thinking of the type of EPIRB that is enclosed in a case that opens once the unit is submerged below a certain depth and keeps the EPIRB itself out of the sun and weather.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Top of the Hardtop is popular on a SF. I would not put it on the top of the tower. Too hard to take it off and manually deploy it. Also the hydrostatic release has to release meaning submerge before it goes off, and on the top of the tower that can be a long time.

I do agree with having 2....I have a small ACR I keep in my Captains bag on every trip.....along with handheld vhf, gps, and plenty of batteries......as well as strobe light
  6. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

A aviation handheld vhf will give you the ability to talk to a plane cruising at 36,000 from ~180 nautical miles, much farther than a marine vhf plus you have different frequency bands (the ones aircraft use). If I was bobbing in a life raft anywhere, I would have one in my ditch bag. They only cost a few hundred dollars.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Float free EPIRBS come in a variety of flavors, chose a good one that can transmit data about your boat and its compliment.

Personal Locator beacons are also a very worthwhile item to have, the recent tragic loss of the Cheeki Rafiki was one instance where the only signal picked up was from a PLB.
  8. travler

travler Senior Member

we have one on the side of the pilot house and every survival suit has one also but we are off shore a lot and travel some pretty rough weather also, but we also feel it is worth the expense as you never know what might happen the ocean is very unforgiving

travler
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

On my Sportfish the EPIRB is mounted on the main salon to cockpit bulkhead (exterior of course). It can easily float free and is within easy reach of the door to grab it on the way out if we have to abonden ship.
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

On my Sportfish the EPIRB is mounted on the main salon to cockpit bulkhead (exterior of course). It can easily float free and is within easy reach of the door to grab it on the way out if we have to abonden ship.
  11. ICWCruising

ICWCruising New Member

Our GT60 came with three: 1) on the tower, directly below steering wheel. 2) as you walk into salon, directly on right. 3) Personal one that capt wore.

I dont think you could go wrong with this setup. Although, murphys law always has an early start on your trip.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Regardless of you put it don't forget the most important thing... Register it! There have been many cases where epirb have gone off and SAR attempted to contact previous owners...