Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Westport

Best ECDIS systems

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Rolf, Mar 12, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rolf

Rolf New Member

My employer is having a new yacht built, and we are working out the bridge equipment.

So far I have looked at SAM Electronics, which is pretty good, and Transas, which is absolute rubbish in low light conditions. I'm going to have a demo of Raytheon Anschütz next week, any other suggestions?
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

??
    I have a Transas and run at night all the time. Perhaps the light settings weren't properly adjusted.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

4. Rolf

Rolf New Member

Transas is fine if you adjust the brilliance all the way UP, but then I can't see anything through the wheelhouse windows. I don't like having to rely on just radar and AIS to avoid running into things, and the geniuses put fine grey text on a grey background, so it's completely unreadable when dimmed down enough.

I liked SAM because they used bold letters and a high contrast colour scheme. SAM also uses right clicking to bring up a contextual menu, like on a regular computer. On the Transas you click the right button to change the cursor, which is counter-intuitive if you're used to desktop computers.