Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Bertram Transom Door

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Bill P, Sep 20, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bill P

Bill P New Member

I own a 1981 35' Bertram and I am interested in cutting in a transom door. Does anyone have some advice they could give me on how I would accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any help you could give me. Bill
  2. resurveys7

resurveys7 New Member

now Knoxville, TN, 25 yrs. Fort Lauderdale
    Cutting in a Transom Door

There are two ways to have a transom door. A full door on hinges or a partial door on hinges where you keep the cockpit caprail in place. If you cut a full door you will weaken the structure of the transom. Keeping the cockpit caprail and cutting a "fishing door" will help to keep the transom structure, but only help. You still need to intsall perpendicular structrue on each side of the "fishing door". The fishing door is as it says. You open the door below the caprail to pull any fish you are lucky enough to catch through the door. It does not make for easy passage through the transom for a person. Putting a full door means the transom will need to have perpendicular supports built into each side of the door and for added strength a perpendicular in the center and each stern quarter as a minimum. Those perpendiculars should also be connected to each other just below deck level so that you can try to get the strength back you removed by taking a solid transom and making it into a two pieces transom.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm sure you can appreciate the earlier comments. I would of asked, how old is your Bertram.
    If your not sure, consult a surveyor or contact the kids in the keys.
    My thoughts are; if it's an old (pre Feb) Bert, then cut away and have fun. A solid transom can offer a world of custom options. A Feb & cored hull you need to do allot of research to protect your ship.

What part of the world is your Bert in? I can recommend a few S/E US coast shops.

,rc
  4. resurveys7

resurveys7 New Member

now Knoxville, TN, 25 yrs. Fort Lauderdale
    Bertram Transom

I believe Bill said it is a 1981. The info needed is where is the vessel? That would make it easier when knowing who is near the vessel that can do the job properly.
  5. Bill P

Bill P New Member

The boat is in Mystic ct
  6. ejohnso4

ejohnso4 New Member

Bertram transom door needed

We have an '84 38ft Bert and want to add a off center transom door. Do you have any recommendations of places in the Florida Panhandle? have you seen any good transom door kits that work well for Bertrams?
  7. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I can sure understand your desire to have a transom door. I use mine all the time. Mine still has the cap rail. So, it's a crawl through but still incredibly useful. My 1984 Bertram 54 is definitely a cored hull above the waterline … could be a solid transom but I'm really not sure. It's a Jan 1984 Whitaker boat.

I am scared to mess with structural items.

Mike
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Contact Glasstech in Miami I'm sure they've done some of them on these Bertrams.
  9. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

We all read that part of the post.

Is the boat cored or solid?

That is the question that needs an answer.
  10. Printcess

Printcess New Member

I too would like a full transom door in my 1982 28' FB. We're on Long Island NY. We have a good fiberglass guy but I worry about any structural changes but it's getting increasingly difficult to crawl over the transom. Any suggestions?
  11. Bill Swonger

Bill Swonger New Member

I'm looking at a 77 Bertram 46.6 what do I need to do to get a transom door ???
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lately, The kids in Marathon seem to have lots of Bertram design answers.

Tap on;
    http://www.hightidemarine.com

Please update us on if they were helpful.
  13. Jerry Gomez

Jerry Gomez New Member

Hi, I just purshased a 1981 Bertram 33 and I'm also interested on a transom door, it's a little hard to get over it with dive gear, any input, thanks