Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

Bertram Sportfish Yachts Coming Back???

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Capt Ralph, Nov 3, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 45' Hatteras is almost $2 million. I don't see $500-650k price point as an issue in today's market considering the price of center consoles these days.
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

In my experience there's a big difference in the under 40' buyer vs over 40' buyer. So I don't think the 45' express comparison is relevant at all.

I don't think it cost a whole lot less to build a 35' sportfish than it does to build a 45' except for the motors and you can get WAY more money for a 45' and even more for a 50' which I think is why nobody builds them.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Center consoles are much cheaper to build, buy, maintain, and run which is why they are taking over the 35' market.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, but there are a lot of Center Consoles being sold in the $400,000 to $500,000 range. Now 35's not quite that high.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Silverton -- under the new Egg Harbor Group management -- offers a new 36 Convertible. Although that doesn't mean they've cranked out more than about two since the revival.

Not a Viking or a Hatteras, but a pretty good Chevy. Apparently better than some of the more recently publicized Bertram failures.

Don't remember price point; think around $600K maybe, for the diesel version. EHG/Silverton is probably best described as being in the chicken-versus-egg (pun) mode just now, but in any case, the buying public isn't beating down the door at whatever $$ these are going for now.

-Chris
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

With all the new features on 35'+ CC, including heads and/or berths, the building gap between a CC and a low slung SF like the 35 has shrunk. The CC deck/cockpit molds are getting fairly complex and the labor hours our going up.

Can not understand the Hatteras 45 EX price, there is a used 2015 asking $1.65M, translate that to the 35 Bertram and you are north of $1.2M??? Can't see it myself, but who knows with today's new boat prices.

Did notice that the 35 Bertram mold will have propeller pockets, keeping the draft low for skinny waters. Could envision a lot of the San Diego / Newport Beach / Long Beach waterfront home owners replacing there under 40' Tiara's with this new potentially "cult classic".
  7. Ksuzann

Ksuzann New Member

The base boat will be $695k, add hardtop with nice electronics and fighting chair and its mid to upper $700's, if you want ALL the bells and whistles over $900k.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Hatteras EX 45' comes in at just under $2 million when outfitted with everything. But they have no problems selling them. The Bertram seems expensive but when you compare it to like size center consoles, is it, not so much. I do find new boat prices astonishing.
  9. 84far

84far Senior Member

Interesting, I was expecting a whole new range from Bertram or some massive news, there boats were starting to look pretty again, I believe Ullberg was designing them, bringing back that sporfisher look...? I didn't realised they packed there bags - disappointing.
    I think the reason why the B31 is still so big over there is that you can pick up a half rubbish one, repower, new lick of paint, rebuild what you want - all for half the price of a new boat.
    This is kind of like Ferrari selling out, and the new owner starting again with the Dino.... They will have a market for sure - you can sell anything over there. Just a a shame they couldn't get back on track.... Cheers

Far
  10. Liam

Liam Senior Member

New 58 announced in Palm Beach. IMO looks very nice in rendering, a bit like the old 54 on steroids.
  11. 84far

84far Senior Member

True, it's a great looking design, however I feel they have lost the progress in the previous designs (designs, not build). 144_1541.jpg 58-bertram.jpg
    I also think the punter getting into boating will be a little confused with the direction Bertram have gone...? Cheers

Far
  12. Liam

Liam Senior Member

You have a point 84Far.

Ullberg was following the design trends of the latest Zuccon models see 640, 511 or 540 with the soft shear line.

Micheal Peters on the other hand seems to have scrubbed all the modern Zuccon designs and is looking backwards at the Napier models; old 54 etc etc
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Problem is, 58' sportfish are not selling right now. It's a dead market. The SF market that is selling like hot cakes really is 70' and above.
  14. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The Zuccon design is the one that lost its way. The new group is right on track with the broken-step sheer trademark of classic Bertrams. It is good to see them moving in the right direction.

The Zuccon designers missed the boat much like Hatteras did in the 90's when they tried to use Bertram's broken-step sheerline but have corrected this situation for quite awhile.
  15. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

I really like the look from those drawings. looks like a good progression from the 54/60 designs produced in the early 2000's I showed this to one of my friends down here in Trinidad who is a long time bertram dealer as well a as a few other bertram enthusiast and they are quite impressed.
  16. RER

RER Senior Member

True. Years ago the SF market was full of boats from 40' to 60' ...many owned by guys who weren't super wealthy such as small business owners like contractors - but with enough dough coming in to enjoy an expensive pursuit.

Today it's one percenters. A new Viking SF could mean five to eight million or more. The boats are bigger and better, yes. But the numbers seem just insane.
  17. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

+1

If 58 is the new 54, then 1k is the new 1m. :mad:

As the industry wonders where all the buyers are, they only need to look at their ludicrous price tags. Being ripped off takes the pleasure out of boating.

Attached Files:

18. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I would more say 60 plus. I think Viking best seller at the moment is the 62, and Hatteras is the 63.
    If they went to capture the real Bertram lovers I am sure they want to start following models in size and concept with which the brand build its fame.

Starting at 70 at this point does not make much sense if they want to bring the heritage of Bertram back.

Saying all this I am sure if they sold five - ten of these a year it would be awesome for them at this point. Which if they have a global dealer network is not so hard to do.

The problem is not the market does not exist sub 60 or 70 footer, is that as YF points out prices have gone so ridiculously high above fifty feet that the guy which affords a 50 new can buy a 70 or 80.
    Before 2010 a 50-54 feet sportfisherman was the same price of the Hatteras 45 for example.

Anyhow but I am sure if Bertram went out with a 70, Capt.J would say 80+.
  19. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Jorge Lang from DeAngelo Exhaust just forwarded a Press Release / Mailer he received from Bertram, edited to remove some promotional rhetoric.

I admit that I went back and forth on when exactly we wanted to share our latest news with the Bertram faithful. In a nut shell, I wanted to ensure that this incredible boat doesn’t overshadow another fantastic new model—namely the new Bertram 35. Yet both models truly represent the Bertram legacy and our mission to produce tough and good looking, boats with superior ride and performance. So why not share a little?

I present to you the new Bertram 58. This is not some brushed off mold we found in the corner. This represents an entirely new design from Michael Peters Yacht Design. We will start the tooling in three months, right around the same time we launch the Bertram 35. I think this demonstrates our deep commitment to covering the full Bertram range with updated models that evoke our legacy, while at the same time incorporating the latest in design, construction and performance technology. Believe me, this is not a casual venture for Bertram’s parent company, the Gavio Group, and its President, Beniamino Gavio. He is fully invested in the new Bertram Yacht.

The 31 was our inspiration for the 35, and it’s certainly no surprise to some that the original 54 fueled the thinking behind this new 58. In order to meet demand from today’s serious boating enthusiasts, we needed more running surface, more horsepower, better fuel efficiency, and more onboard space than in the original Bertram 54. That’s why we went to 58 feet. Every captain out there has cut his teeth on a Bertram 54. We wanted to create the boat that the next generation cuts its teeth on.

The Bertram 58’s cutting-edge space-planning extends to the machinery spaces as well. The engine room is as important to us as the master stateroom. Base power is provided by Caterpillar C32 ACERT diesels, and she is projected to top out at well above 40 knots.
  20. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Would Lyman-Morse also build this model? They are not a huge yard.