Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn

Bertram sportfish "Certifiable" for sale?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by geriksen, Feb 16, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

when the delam came up months ago I asked several brokers about it. I was told Hatteras has had a delam as well as viking at some point in the past.

my point here is 1 delam and now 1 who really knows how or why she sank isn't going to kill a company. if both Hatteras and Viking really did have a delam issue at some point, why don't the Betram naysayers feel the same about those brands? I think as the internet has grown, so has the number of people who learn of thses issues and offer their opinion.

while I own what almost everybody comments is one of the best rough seas, bulletproof boats ever made, I wonder that of the 177 produced, was there never 1 single problem with any of them? No internet back then so maybe nobody ever knew.
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I think you're correct, one faulty hull here or there will not ruin a company. The way they handle it though is another matter. Customer service is what makes the difference in a competitive industry.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There are several more then 2 boats with problems, the other 6 or so were swept under the carpet, couldn't cram anymore underneath the carpet and now they're starting to pop up on the internet all from one manufacturer. It's one thing to have A boat have delamination issues. It's another thing to have around 8 of them spread over around 5 model years.......
  4. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

do tell then. I'd love to hear about these others. not seen them on the internet and I would think I, and ALL of us would have heard about them. so please, give us the facts. can't wait to hear!
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Delamination!

I think you are only partly right in regards to the effect the internet has had in making the Bertram issue so much greater than previous "1 or 2" delaminations at other boat builders
    In the case of the 630, it was a LIFE THREATENING catostrophic failure, not a cosmetic issue needing a re-glass, buff n' polish. Add that to a large corporation pulling up the gates and manning the walls and it makes all past issues pale in comparison. As one prolific poster said early on in that thread, the new 630 owner could have been way out in the Indian Ocean with family and friends when this "DELAMINATION" occurred. We then would be discussing the "mysterious" sinking of a 630 and LOSS of life. Would Hatterras or Viking cooly ignore such an issue when safety is at stake? Doubt it.
    To me (my .02c worth) this is most troubling, that many more Berts could be out there...far out there, ready to "delaminate".
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's in the first 630 thread I believe. But, Sid's 570 was oil canning and the 630 was his warranty replacement. The 570 I ran seperated all of the stringers to bulkhead tabbing was a 2005 I believe, maybe 2004. 630 Hull #1 port engine yanked the stringers out of the hull. Certifiable 630. I've heard rumors the 70' also went to the factory for stringer issues in the engine room. 570 hull #1 had part of the 2 pieces of the transom fall out on it's maiden seatrial. Those are off the top of my head.
  7. jbk4001

jbk4001 New Member

Just about all of your comments posted here are false…. Please refer to Bertram630 Sportfish Sinks? Page 51 Post 762 (to correct you on one of them)….as for the others (that are not correct) all I can say is you really need to check your resources before making false accusations like that ….. It’s obvious you do not know this owner and/or his pattern for buying boats…. I think you need to try a different portion of your head to get to some facts…… ;)
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There was a 570 Certifiable prior to the first 63'. Maybe you need to come down to South Florida, where you may actually SEE them when they happened. It's common knowledge among various groups and surveyors here........they kept the first few boats hush hush and took care of them under warranty
  9. jbk4001

jbk4001 New Member

In Miami now...will be back at Pier66 at the end of the week.... See you then! ;)

Ps when you were on the 57' were you over on C dock (at 66) by any chance?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, never at Pier 66 with the 57'.....It may have been there after I quit working for the owner....But sat at Allied for 4 months after me and then the factory another 2+ months. But was at Sands and LMC while I was running it when in South Florida......spent 10 days in Key West on a trip etc etc....
  11. jbk4001

jbk4001 New Member

Okay just wondering….Will give you a shout out when we return….You buy the first round since you made the invite!:D
  12. jbk4001

jbk4001 New Member

Henning,

If Bertram had reached out to all owners of 63’s (in person, not in a letter) and did the following:
    1)Asked if they were aware of what had happen.
    2)Answered any questions that they (the owners) had.
    3)Offered to pay for any type of survey (destructive or non-destructive).
    4)And was willing to pay for any and all repairs (if found).

Would you consider that fair costumer service? :confused:
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would consider it fair, and they could start with Absolutely. However, I feel that a repaired boat would still not be as structurally sound as one that was built correctly to start with. And then the question lies with how many more will pop up as they age that a survey did not detect.
  14. Henning

Henning Senior Member

It's a very good start, follow through counts as well. As I said before, I don't particularly hold Bertram in the wrong on this one, but that is my perception, others may perceive things differently, and perception is what drives customers, not reality. Besides, my perception has no matter in this towards Bertram anyway since I would never be in the market for a SF boat, nor are any of my clients. Marine Max OTOH does stand to lose from my perceptions because they carry models of boats that I do have clients interested in, and I can't say at this point that I would send anyone to them. Marine Max operated that boat for years and several hundred hours, and they sold the boat, and it was their captain/salesman who was running it. I'm making some assumptions about who was handling the details and arrangements of the delivery to Africa when I figure it was them. Over 20 years in the industry leads me to believe that is a safe assumption because that is the kind of thing brokers do to earn their money and keep their clients. I hold them primarily to task on this event, and in the end of it all, I still would bet that the courts will as well. I'm also willing to bet that the boat has seen some operational damages and repairs while in the care and custody being operated by Marine Max as a demonstrator.
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I don't know if that is really an all encompassing fact.

I know of boats that have has major structural defects repaired and the defects modified to make them a lot stronger and sound than before when they were first launched.

I have also seen some quite substantial changes made mid build to reflect issues with previous vessels.
  16. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Agreed.
  17. yachtcaptain

yachtcaptain New Member

There were two yellow Bertram 630's named Certifiable both owned by the same owner. First was a 2005 with a full tower, the second delivered new in 2008 (the one that delaminated) did not have a full tower, only a hard top. The 2008 was replaced by Bertram with a 70', and the 2008 was not and is not being sold by the owner that had it when it delaminated, Bertram took it back.
  18. down island

down island New Member

I'm skippering a Bert 570 hull#3 Had her 2yrs.5000 mi. later What a beast!! And still gets oohs and aaws at the tournaments.
  19. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

That's great to hear!