Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for JetForums

Bertram Entering the Outboard Market

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by German Yachting, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

My experience with mercury has never been that great, certainly not as good as Yamahas. In all fairness it was with smaller engines (up to 50hp). They never ran as smooth as the Yamahas, even had some steel parts like bolts instead of SS

We have a 75 Honda on our 15’ walker bay. As good as the Yamahas.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I do agree.
    In all the years of working on Brunswick engine packages, dealing with Yamaha, including my own power, was always better, faster and cheaper.
    Tohatsu and Suzuki not far behind, just less pizzas.

Gave up on BRP products long ago. Was never an OMC fan and did little business there. The last generation of Evenrude's look cool and wish them luck.
  3. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Sux to be building those megayachts without concern of the IMO rule.
    We are having an LNG tug built for delivery next year that uses modern technology.
  4. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Honda's kinda suked from the beginning. I noticed a few years ago, the fasteners were auto grade - not to marine standards. Rusted and fell off after two years rugged service.

Never quite liked Yamaha's - too pricey and didn't last long.

Mariners, Tohatsu-Zuks, Mercury & Evinrudes in order are the best motors made. Hands down IMHO
  5. Colin A

Colin A New Member

Back in the 90's and early 2000 Mercury (Brunswick) had huge loans to Fountain as they were their biggest buyer of Merc Racing engines. Based on this the thought that Mercury is helping the finance is probably spot on.

Honda makes a decent engine, but honestly they don't put a lot of money in new products, or dealer expansion. They also don't try to buy transoms like the other guys do (special financing loans etc). Years ago I worked at a dealer where we sold a fair amount of Honda's don't have much bad to say about them other than on work boats here in New England we had Idling problems when it was below 50 degrees.

Yamaha has done really well. They have a huge dealer network, and lot's of deals with boatbuilders. I'm a little biased against them thanks to the numerous fuel injection problems I saw in the 2005-2009 time frame on 115-200 hp models. But most people love them.

Tohatsu and Suzuki are pretty good bets for repowers. Both are well made if not flashy. Also tend to be a good value. Mercury spends alot on R and D and sells alot, not much bad to say about them (plus in my go fast days days not much was faster then a 2.4 or 2.5 Merc V6.) BRP well I have a number of older BRP motors I keep because they are easy to fix and trouble shoot. The modern E-tecs I have driven were wonderful. And would be high on my list for something like a small center console.

As far as the appeal, of Center Consoles, I see a **** lot of them here in Long Island Sound on up to about southern Maine. Not the super huge ones we see in FL now but lots in the 25-35 range.
  6. jimgeorge

jimgeorge New Member

I have a Bertram 28 flybridge with twin Honda 250s on an Armstrong bracket. It goes 48mph and cruises at 4200 rpms at 32 mph. The Honda’s have been great but Honda needs more dealerships. I can get from Stuart, Fl. To Hopetown, and then some, on 1 tank (185) of gas.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A few days ago I was on the aft deck and heard a boat approaching on the fairway... its outboards sounded like crap. I turned around... yep... Mercury 4 strokes.
    3 years and 300+ hours on a 75 Honda. Great motor. All quality SS hardware by like my last merc