Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Bertram 630 Sportfish Sinks?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by YachtForums, Nov 12, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teddy1

Teddy1 New Member

I'll answer my own question, no, there wasn't time for that? Was their an epirb?
  2. stalker

stalker New Member

maybe it was time to lock this thing down a page or two back,,,,,,lol
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

That's correct... e-mail addresses will NEVER become public domain, nor sold to marketers. I HATE SPAM! And I detest companies that harvest information or use email to solicit and/or market their wares.

I was informed of Shazam's identity by an independent source, therefore I notified him that others may have less than benign intentions if they realized his identity. Kamzoori, if you have a problem with me, then send me a Private Message, or better yet... step up when you see me on the docks. Your inquiry, more specifically your attempt to call into question my ethics, is wasting everybody's time.
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Corners are where stress concentrates and materials are weakest. Boats are typically built stronger under the water line than above.
  5. Kamzoori

Kamzoori New Member

This would be the poster that Bertram president Mike Myers described as a "minor competitor?" Rest easy Mr Myers, you and your company find yourselves in a unique position today, until you have a clear, concise answer to the fiberglass failures outlined in this forum (and others), YOU HAVE NO COMPETETION, minor or otherwise.
  6. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Not at all. Take a 4" strip of glass matt and light roving, 2 layers, with a 90* 1/8" radius layed lengthwise with vinylester, then push on the edges across the corner. Just move it a 1/2" a hundred times and see what happens. Now, make one more, only this time mix the MEKP at 2.75% and perform the same experiment and compare results. Fiberglass does not like corners and corners concentrate stresses. The weakest points fail first.
  7. Henning

Henning Senior Member

It does nothing flattering when you assert yourself from a point of obvious ignorance. If you don't understand something, at least ask good questions. Either that or sit back and wait for answers to come to you.

It does seem though that there are some trolls showing up in this thread which may be specifically sent to devalue and obfuscate real issues in this thread. It funny the things that get brought up in a legal challenge.
  8. Kamzoori

Kamzoori New Member

Please refer to post 781, item #5, the proof was in retardos posts but it seems to me that they have been deleted. If indeed those posts have been deleted then my hats off to the YF moderation team for keeping a keen eye out for new hit and run posters with dubious intentions.

IMO anyone (retardo) that would describe the "certifiable" delaminaion as a "cosmetic delamination" is suspect.
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Actually, you didn't argue with one thing I said. Archimedes is who started the specific gravity thing in order to predict displacements. Since I don't have the exact measured displacements of each piece, I can take the dimensions and specific gravity of each piece of material of and on the vessel and calculate its "weight" in air, salt water, or any other medium for that matter. As you say, the physics (in this case reference could even be made to Alchemy) are immutable. Considering the hundreds of different materials a boat is made of, you have to sum total all of them. Displacement alone will not determine bouyancy though because you have to consider density.
  10. Kamzoori

Kamzoori New Member

A question to the site ownership and site moderators, I've noticed several of my posts which were in no way shape or form slanderous or inflamatory have been deleted. Can you please refer me to your site policy for deleting and manipulating said posts?
  11. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Hey! You scratched my anchor! :p
  12. Kamzoori

Kamzoori New Member

Fellow board members, take a moment from this discussion to include the poor people who are suffering in Haiti in your thoughts and prayers. The magnitude of the tragedy that has befallen that poor country is truly staggering.
  13. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Tell ya what, if they are properly installed, properly designed check ball vents, they do a really impressive job of sealing. I've pulled boats off the bottom 2-3 days after sinking and had minimal water in the fuel. That said, I have no idea what vents were installed there. Even just a 4" swan neck loop in a 1/2" vent hose would do a lot to minimize water intrusion, and as long as the tank is intact, will never fill full because the pressure will equalize first. Tanks are typically built tough.
  14. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I'm neither owner nor moderator, but I'd love to help you with your question... When the observant YF member clicks the following link:
    [​IMG],

then said observant YF member would continue reading to the following section:
    [​IMG]

Taste, being a subjective topic, is left to the owner and moderators. This is a wide window, and one would be well served to ensure one's appendages are not sticking through it when it does get shut.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

15. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

I am usually not the one to jump onto conspiracy theories - e.g. my guess it, most trolls do arrive on their own - but this topic is having a fair share of those since long ago.
    was pretty good one tho!

Matter of fact, last pages are basically pure mess. Forum etiquette gets more attention then much-awaited "official information" in that Bertram letter :cool: Curious things that at least might be worth a little attention (such as whether the boat underwent a repair earlier) sink under the avalanche of questions from page 20 repeated on pages 40 and 60.

At least people around here can understand a good whisky!:p
  16. Liam

Liam Senior Member

read this on another place called Sportfisherman. But a guy who does glass work in the area and also has done some jobs for MM confirmed me to be true, altough he did not do the job himself.
    Can this be a mooring accident as Henning said in the early parts of this threads...

Marine Max here when they were still a bertram dealer were doing some major repairs on a 63 glass issues alot of them hope it wasn't the same boat. I know i wouldn't have kept it if it were mine to say the least.
    and this is what my friend told me:
    dont do all of my local Marine Max's work they have in house and obviously have other locations with their own glass guys, but looking at the hull when it was on land I can tell you that if someone DID a repair, you could not see it, it was done top notch, and it obviously was not done by us. The hull looked magnificent when it was on land and very straight and true.
  17. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Pioneers get Arrows in their Backs

After following all of this as far as possible, and maybe missing much, I must say that as an average "boat buyer/user/avid boater"
    It is EXTREMELY concerning how much risk is passed onto the consumer, in both investment and more /most importantly SAFETY!
    One post early on mentioned this vessel coming to grief in the Indian Ocean. I have fished there as a youngster. (Mocambiquie Current) NO EPIRBS. NO COAST GAURD. NO RESCUE. i.e no chance if we had a "Catasophic Event" Yet my memories are WONDERFUL! My first BIG FISH landed on a timber piece of .......
    In other words, like a road smash in the Mohave with NO support. It is NOT GOOD enough to keep this thread going on Speculation & Uber Tech Intelligence. STOP.
    Soon.. whether it it is Bertram, Ferritti or God forbid... Hatteras, we need REAL TIME/TRUE EVALUATION of the products being applied to vessels in true conditions. Nevermind labour and subcontractors names! This needs to be rated in the same way the early commercial ships were FINALLY rated to give us confidence in what we are sailing. i.e Plimsol etc. Today it is Bertram, but I just read about a Buddy Davis. Who is Next? I have no loyalty to Bertram BUT all they have done IMHO is take on the latest technology, which also entails.....PIONEERS TAKIN" THE ARROWS!
  18. YachtForums

I removed a group of posts from Retardo, along with his membership. This also included a couple of quoted responses, but I don't recall if they were your posts. However, based on the 8 posts you've made, in which one was completely unrelated to the topic, nearly half of your posts are in some way attempting to discredit me or present doubt on how YF is conducted. It seems a pattern is emerging here.

EDIT - going back through my records, yes... I removed at least one of your posts. You and Retardo registered almost simultaneously. He began making references to his blog and you posted a link on his behalf.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Any updates from the courthouse or lawyers yet?
    thx, rc
  20. YachtForums

This thread has deteriorated beyond constructive speculation. It's become deceptive and destructive. I've removed the membership of "Retardo", who is Rick Eyerdam. I've copied and forwarded his allegations to our law firm. I removed the membership and posts of "Docked Wages", as per his request. As mentioned previously, I removed posts that contained 'quoted' exerts from Retardo, this included one or two posts by another new member, "Kamzoori".

I'm unsure why a time discrepancy has been presented. Just to clarify, the CD's we received, which contained both still shots and video, were dated 11-29-09. The still shots were very poor quality, so I extracted shots from the video. These are the CD's...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.