Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for MotorCheck

Bertram 630 Sportfish Sinks?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by YachtForums, Nov 12, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

Speaking of that, I think there is a gross irresponsibility and lack of oversight involved on account of all observers and participants of this discussion.

The buoy needs to be examined much better then that. What if it's actually some disguised AlQuaeda's terrorist buoy? It might look harmless, but in actuality, it's a monster shipwrecker on the inside, and I have a feeling that it is left out in the open to cause more harm!

It is also possible for some enemy, foreign or domestic, to utilize a fairly developed sonic technology in some monster device to cause hull delaminations via focus-beamed sonic rays. I've heard rumors that by adjusting frequences with specifics of layering process and resin types, such devices can be fine-tuned to selectively cause delaminations in specific brand hulls.
    I've no idea why prepetrators of that devilish plot seem to have chosen Feretti (probably, the only conclusive set of hull technology/resin data they had... or more sinister reasons!) but this definitely needs to be investigated!

At any rate, happy New Year everyone!
  2. Adad

Adad New Member

"Henning" :Even if the captain hit the bouy shown in those photographs, it would indicate a poor build quality issue since the level of damage on the bouy is not indicative of the level of force that should be required to cause that level of damage to the boat.
    Have to agree with this statement
  3. CR CRUISER

CR CRUISER Member

4. Adad

Adad New Member

:D Was that the Bertram Public Relations Rep? :D
  5. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

6. 84far

84far Senior Member

that was pretty funny. has anyone heard any news (facts)? cheers

far
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Who has heard why the 70' "Certifiable" is now not being driven and instead they have temp replacement called "screaming eagle"? I was told it was because the engine room tabbing failed- another fiberglass issue.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's the first I've heard of it. Where is the 70' Certifiable docked right now?
  9. capitano_65

capitano_65 Member

Let the bashing continue...................
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well for those that are not informed. The 70' Bertram "Certifiable" was the owner's warranty replacement for his 63' Bertram "Certifiable" where the entire port hull side about 20' long came off as a sheet from the coring a little over a year ago.

The 63' Bertram "Cerifiable" was the owner's warranty replacement for his 57' Bertram "Certifiable" that broke all of the stringers free from the bulkheads. So 3 relatively brand new Bertram's all have/had serious structural issues for 1 owner, Not Very Good Odds.

The whole truth, no bashing needed. It is what it is...

Bertram Delamination; January 2009
  11. capitano_65

capitano_65 Member

Talk about lighting striking 3 times at the same place (poor guy)......If this is the truth on the last boat, then probably is one of the last nails on the Bertram coffin.

Sorry for Bertram owner's who purchased during this times as values will plummet.

So bottomline, after 35 pages my guess from all this, and the message that is being conveyed is that the entire Bertram fleet built from the early 2000's (Ferretti era) until now is falling apart or just about to, is totally unsafe, and no one in their right mind should even consider purchasing one.....Sad really sad, no; tragic is a better word.
  12. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

Curious how people align "their guess" with "the message being conveyed", when these by definition are very different things.

However, you are right in seeing that on these 35 pages, there are some examples of a very sloppy worksmanship on several recently built Berthrams, as well as certain questionable statements from their officials, and that information might be useful to someone considering purshasing one.
  13. trisdee80

trisdee80 New Member

Just to put the facts straight, the only proven defective boat that at least I have seen on this site is last year's "Certifiable", which I believe Bertram/Ferretti addressed better than anyone could ask for, especially under the financial circumstances that prevailed at the time.

The 570 and 700 cases that you mention, as well as the 630 sinking could be anything from propaganda to captain error as far as public evidence suggests until now.

I think that it is best to look at the pure facts before writing things that could condemn people's investments for no reason.
  14. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Because safety and human lives are less important than "investments" in depreciating assets? :confused:
  15. Henning

Henning Senior Member

So....protecting investment is the most important thing?
  16. trisdee80

trisdee80 New Member

Safety certainly comes before investment but my point is that the only case from the ones mentioned in which manufacturer's defect seems to be the one to blame is the one of "Certifiable".

I do not see how any of the remaining cases can be considered in any way an indication of lack of safety due to poor design or built quality when there is either no proof of them ever happening (570 and 700) or no official survey/report of why they might have happened (sinking 630).

I like to "save lives" as well, but I like to have my facts straight before blaming others publicly.
  17. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I had an ex employee tell me that a few days before the delivery of the 70 Certifiable, they found major voids in the lamination around the hullside windows. As he explained it to me, they worked round the clock to put everything right before delivery, I went over to the test center and saw this with my own eyes (and took pictures). Recently I heard the boat was back at the factory with the same problems, I visited the factory and confirmed the same with my own eyes. Shortly afterwords I saw the yacht back in the water at the factory with what looked like the interior torn apart (I didn't take photos) so I have no reason to doubt anything that's being said about tabbing in the engine room having failed. I also have photos of a new 570 on the line with well over 50 voids in the lamination below the waterline as well as a 450 with over 90 voids in the lamination.
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dear Shazam,

I see you have edited your closing comments, which I was about to remove, along with a warning... whatever axe you have to grind; YachtForums IS NOT a platform for you to vent personal issues you have with Bertram or employees of the company.

Your post above brings into serious question your presence and purpose here. If you have pictures that document your claims, then post them. Better yet, please take this opportunity for a shameless plug. I think we'd all like to know what boats you are building. It will certainly shed light on your reason here, as well as your business conduct.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is proof...... Everyone knows about it that is in the industry. The first Certifiable was oil canning.....the stringers were breaking free of the bulkheads.....it was surveyed and that was known (570).

The 570 hull number 1 came back from it's maiden seatrial with 8" holes in the transom where they had plugged where the exhaust initially came out.

The 570 that I was running was surveyed and had broken all of the bulkhead to stringer tabbing and spent 6 months at the factory "luck four us"

The first 630 that yanked the port engine and stringers from the hull had a surveyor on it when it happened.....

It appears the problem boats started showing up in 2003 or 2004 model tilllllll
  20. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I'm not looking for any shameless plug, I have no interest in self promotion whatsoever. I grew up worshiping the company that these guys have destroyed and am personal friends with some of the key players that built the company into the legend that it once was before the italians took it over. I for one would love nothing more than to see Bertram alive and prosperous, if they're doing good, we're all doing good. I take no joy in watching one of the last boat builders in Miami failing, especially in this extraordinary fashion.

Pictures? You really want them posted?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.