Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Delta

Bertram 46 V. Bertram 50

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Albert Jr., Mar 7, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C team

C team Senior Member

Not all of them have been sorted. I looked at one last year for sale and the hull and deck had cracks all over the entire boat. The owner was trying to work the sale price to help with a needed paint job.
  2. wasabi john

wasabi john New Member

Do you remember the name of this 54', I have a 46' now and would like to move up to the 54...
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Sorry, I haven't seen if for years now. I checked some listings and it did not come up. The Crow's Nest brokerage in SD could probably help you.
  4. wannapost50

wannapost50 New Member

Was it "Country King"
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

No, "Country King" was the ultimate rebuild done at Basin Marine in Newport Beach, very SoCal style, a no-price is an issue rebuild for sure.

The Merritt style 54 was kept on an end tie in Sunroad Marina on Harbor Island in SD. Very distinct with the teak transom, but "Country King" would be the right choice if you are using it out West.
  6. wannapost50

wannapost50 New Member

Hi PacBlue, I just closed on a 1988 54 with 1292's that are getting tired, being from Dana Point do you have a Detroit guy that you would recommend ? Per my engine survey guy it could get by with in frame kits. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and I'm not really looking for a bandaid approach.
  7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Congratulations on your purchase, glad to hear you had an engine survey done as well. I am sure they can quote you and would also recommend that you talk to Valley Power Systems. Do not know who your boat surveyor was, but you can also get a recommendation from him or another surveyor like Bunker Hill.

Dana Point does not typically have the volume for a lot of Detroit overhauls/repairs, but you should also get feedback from the better yards in Newport Beach and San Diego, as the prices will be different geographically. Shelter Island Boat Yard in SD is reputable and Newport Harbor Shipyard or Basin Marine in NB can steer you in the right direction.

You have many decisions to make, including if you want to or need to rebuild the gearboxes at the same time. At the very least replace all the gearbox hoses and make a set of new spares for piece of mind. After overhaul, you will probably want to service the Running Gear/Shafts/Seals/Props/Cutlass Bearings/etc. just to reset everything at time of rebuild.
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

54Bert.jpg
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

There are a handful of good 2 stroke DD guys in So Cal but for a complete overhaul I would recommend Craig Stange, from Detroit's Only in San Diego.

Also, Valley Power Systems has had some very good 2 stroke guys in SD but I'm not sure who they have working right now. You would need to move the boat to San Diego for the job in either case.
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

That's the one - thanks for the pic!

Although that roto-molded bait tank on the swimplatform just about kills the cool factor :(
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

lol ...that's for sure.