Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Comfort Click for Glendinning Click for MotorCheck

Bertram 28

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by cjspga, Jul 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. walth

walth New Member

hi, looking for one to repower before you spend time and money,please get in touch tried to email you thru this site ,failed :confused:

walt
  2. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Hey Walt,

Thanks, I got your email - I have just got in from work.

The boat belongs to my girlfriend (it was her fathers - he passed away recently) The title is free and clear and yes she is looking to sell or trade. Ideally she would like to sell but may be interested in a smaller boat.

My cell number is removed (you are welcome to call tomorrow) The boat has been sitting for about 18 - 20 months and looks like he left it yesterday - other than it being covered in dust rain water run-off. It is full to the brim with (what looks like professional fishing gear - but I am no fisherman) A couple of GPS and Navigation devices etc etc. The boat is stock and was winterized for the winter of 2008 and remains unused since.

It would be perfect for a re-power to diesel - I know the motors ran fine but a pair of 275hp Chrysler motors from 1973 -sure will suck it down.

Thanks for your email and maybe we can chat tomorrow. We are still getting the boat valued - so at this point we are not sure of the price. You are welcome to make some kind of offer or we could meet you in Reedvill,e VA one weekend and you can take a look at her.

Respectfully,
    Chris and Heather.
  3. walth

walth New Member

chis

i tried emailing you and private messaging,(site won't let you post phone #)but would not connect,i think i'm set up so i can recieve email thru site.if you could try to message me or email phone number i'd like to talk,

walt
  4. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Hey Guy's
    Figured I would post an update.

Heather and I have just spent the past two weeks down working on the house in Reedville, VA and have been enjoying the boat. I contacted Randy and Tiffany Yachts and he came over and took a good look at Fish Stiks.

After almost two years of sitting on the boat lift, we lowered her into the water and she fired straight up! Batterys were good, fuel was good and she ran like a swiss watch!

Turns out she was re-powered in 89 with 318 Chrysler's but she does not want to idle below 1000rpm when warm - makes for interesting mooring! But everything else works fine. We spent about 50 hours cleaning her up and getting rid of a dozen fishing rods and trying to figure out the 4 GPS devices etc etc..but what a great boat! Yesterday we took her for one last run and she sits at 22knots all day long.

She has new fresh water tanks and does have a fiberglass fuel tank and two aluminum (fuel) saddle tanks - so holds a total of 240 gallons. She has never been subjected to ethanol based gas and Smith Point Marina has 'old style" fuel so - we all good!

After being jerked around by a couple of people who said they were interested in buying - we have decided to keep her and are now looking at trying to figure out the Stalling at idle - when warm.

Any thoughts ?

Chris and Heather
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds great. Sounds like you probably need to have your carbs cleaned though. Gas that old turns to like varnish. You could also be dealing with condensation in the tanks. No big deal. DK about that 'old style' fuel. I'm skeptical. You should look into changing that main fuel tank over the winter (that too could explain the carb problems). Glad to hear you decided to keep her. She sounds like a good boat. Good luck and have fun.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Ed,

When making a follow up post, it isn't necessary to "quote" the last post. It takes up bandwidth and increases scrolling. Please save Quotes for captioning or emphasizing a particular sentence or statement.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I usually try to cut it down to specifics, but am doing 20 things at once today.:eek: Will try to be more succinct and bandwidth conscious. Thanks for the heads up.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check the fuel filter/water seperator. That will cause idling problems after it gets full, the water will then makes it way to the carberator bowls. Try emptying and or changing them. If that doesn't work, the idle passages (which are smaller) tend to get clogged up easily and it won't idle because fuel is not passing through the idle jets. The carberators need to be cleaned out and rebuilt, most likely.
  9. cjspga

cjspga New Member

Thanks for the advice. It's a little frustrating as it appears that Heathers dad just had both carb's overhauled before he passed - but they have no sense of time or use!!. So I guess I will pull them off and get them done. He does have a freshly rebuilt carb' sitting in a plastic bag with a rebuild tag on it. And (his fishing buddy) tells us that it was his back-up. Along with every hose and belt and fluid needed.

The more and more we find out about the boat the more and more we come across a fastidiously maintained boat with a plethora of squirreled away spares.

Anyone have a clue how to use a Garmin 541 ? also a 160C ? and a 300C and a couple of hand held devices.

The boat has a Judson Engine Synchronizer and after reading the manual it seems just about impossible to get the motors absolutely running together. From what I have been told Heathers dad did not trust it one inch and never used it....Is there a better unit or am I just some kind of idiot!. ....Answers on a postcard please.-! Is there an electronic version that you guys use - recommend?
  10. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

28 Bertram

On the Judson when the orange light quits flickering or flickers slowly it's supposed to be sync'd. Listen to the motors at cruising speed. Set one throttle at cruise speed and get the other engine close with the tach. When they're sync'd it will make a long droning sound. It's kind of hard to explain but pretty east to do if you listen to the engines.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The GPS is real easy to use, but way too much info to adequately describe here. Best to get a manual. Most operate very similarly, but may use different terms and differnt ways to get to the same operations. In the simplest form you can watch your boat as you move across the chart. (white-deep, lgt blue more shallow, dark blue shallow, brown or green trade the props for tires :) ) Initially, go into the menu and scroll down to track. Turn the track feature on and mark "wrap". That will leave a continuous breadcrumb trail behind the boat. With that you can follow it back home in the dark or fog. You can also "save" tracks and have them show on the chart, so you can mark regularly traveled areas. You'll also want to learn to put in "Routes". On most of the Garmins you can program the Data field, a great feature. I like to have: heading, course correction, name of next waypoint, distance to & time to next waypoint, 2nd waypoint name, ETA at destination and current time, but the choices are near infinite. As I said before the GPS is easy to use, but the key is to play with it, play with it, play with it. On a day when you're just hanging on the boat think of a place you'd like to go to and put in a "Route", then another, etc. Garmins hold a ton of Routes. Mine holds 50 and umpteen waypoints. (a waypoint is simply a point where you'll want to adjust course and a Route is series of waypoints making up the trip which you'll follow point to point. You also can't put anything on the screen (waypoints, etc.) that you can't take off, so don't worry about that. Also, you can't screw it up so play & enjoy. 1st time I used GPS back in '91 I fell instantly in love. Best thing since sliced bread.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A lot of newer boats have so much structure and sound dampening that it gets hard to hear, but that Bertram is great for it. Out of sync the sound hits me like fingernails on a chaulk board. In sync it's almost like a soft song.:) You'll be syncing those motors without even looking at the tachs in no time.