Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Delta

Battery Charger recommendation

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pascal, Jul 14, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Wouldn't this be where a charge divider would solve the problem?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

charge divider ??
  3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Sorry Ralph, probably a nomenclature error on my part but modern PMS (power management systems) have PLC dividers with sensing taps that constantly sample the alternating current on the switchboard buss for voltage set points and when these points are violated for low AC voltage or complete loss (dead ship) of AC on the buss the PLC divider opens a gate to allow the engine mounted alternators to take over the DC charging system from the AC powered chargers with priority for emergency Navigation and communications batteries as these systems are autonomous and the house (hotel) and starting batteries would have secondary priority until manually overridden or AC is back on the main buss.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sounds like a smart (programmable) charge controller. I don't think many small ships or chargers will have any equipment like this installed. The 20M+ Hats I've worked with have fancy stuff but still nothing like that from the factory. I do like the idea of the charger becoming an emergency power supply.
    I remember reading in the Victron and Maybe the MasterVolt equipment manuals, some chargers could be used for power supply in various configs, I didn't think much would be automatic. I'll have to go back and re-read some stuff now.

Oh, on my #19 post above, Hall overhead lights are DCv. Blinks were very noticeable away from windows and ACv lights. Exit path lights should always be DCv. Even on a UPS or emergency power supply.
    Hum, retirement project maybe.. Cost reduced emergency path lighting for smaller yachts.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  5. SerkanS

SerkanS New Member

Hi Pascal,
    I am using 2 x Skyla-i 3000KVA on my boat, connected in parallel. Very happy the way they work.
    I choosed dual setup because my boat had one already installed for 5-6 years and I bought another one to increase its capacity.
    Today I am thinking about getting one large Quatro and replace my Skyla's and the redressors. (Also dual)