Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums

Barely a yacht, but I'm looking at it

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Nasomi, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Nasomi

Nasomi New Member

I'm looking at one of two boats. First, I want to provide a little background though as to my situation.

I'm not an older man(no offense!), I'm 25 years old, and have been casually looking at a sizable boat for a few years now. I have a 2004 Ford Excursion with a 6litre diesel engine, a Subaru race car, and two motorcycles of the cruiser variety. I'm fairly well established in life considering my age, but this will be my first boat purchase.

I have piloted boats in the 25'-35' range that were daily rentals off the NJ and FL shore in years past, and enjoyed it, so I know that boating is something for me. I was not handed anything, and have earned everything I have on my own, so I'm not just one of "those" kids either. I'm mechancially inclined as well, and plan to do most of the maintenance on my own. I have a solid career at a drug company which compensates me rather well, to fund my toys, so this is where I'm at.

Now, on to the fun stuff!

I'm torn. I'm looking at a 1980 Sea Ray 25' Sundancer with trailer in fairly good shape, and a 1984 Trojan 32' F-32 Sedan bridge. I'm in eastern PA, and often spend my weekends at the NJ shore where I have some friends.

If I were to purchase the Sundancer I would keep it on the trailer, and simply go out twice a month or so and drop it in for the weekend. If I decided to go to another shore, say North Carolina, however, I could rather easily. I see this as an advantage of the Sundancer.

If I were to purchase the Trojan I would rent a slip in central NJ for April through October season, and have it pulled, winterized, and stored, for the winter time. I would be limited to that immediate area though. On the other hand, I would have more than sufficient room to do just about anything I wanted, and would be generally safer if at sea and the weather rolls in. Moving from NJ to NC would not be an easy task though. I have family scattered up and down the east coast, so there is a real possibility I would want to do so.

So, for a first boat, could I get some recommendations? From what I have read both have similar cruising speeds of about 13 knots, and burn around 8 gallons per hour of fuel, the real difference being the tank size. Also, repairs on the Sundancer would be easier for me, as I can pull it out at my leisure and work on it at my leisure, in my own garage.

For those that are wondering "Why now?" the answer is simple. It's the winter months, boats are generally thousands less than the spring and summer months, as non-devoted owners are not looking forward to the work of getting the boat ready for the sea come spring time, as well as slip fees and such. Combine that with the way the current economy is going, and most people are just looking for a break and to cut unnecessary expenses.

Well that's my story. I'll welcome any input. Thanks!

Jay
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum Jay. I've sent you a PM.
  3. Nasomi

Nasomi New Member

Thanks, replied.

I'm currently leaning towards the Sundancer, it's convenience for my situation is ideal. Here's a link to the origional ad for it:
    1980 Sea Ray 245 Sundancer

I have noted the concerns, and will take them into heavy consideration when I finally arive at a decision. I'm not exlcusive to these two boats either, I'm still looking around.
  4. Nasomi

Nasomi New Member

I have been contacted regarding another boat, but it's an aft cabin. Can anyone tell me the major difference between center cabin and aft cabin, advantages and disadvantages of both? Which has more interior room? Thanks.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You really have to start posting more info like the size of that aft cabin. I doubt that is 25' or a single I/O. An aft cabin will give you more interior space, but have a lot more windage, a raised helm and will generally be slower (although maybe not in this circumstance:cool: ). Announcing that you're in the market to buy will result in you receiving notice of a lot of boats for sale. Don't get overwhelmed or you'll spend the whole summer chasing rainbows. When you look at any of these boats bring a friend who's fairly familiar with boats and make all sales contingent on having the motor checked by a mechanic or you'll end up on Peoples Court and losing;) . (I say mechanic because the price range we discussed via PM doesn't justify hiring a surveyor).
  6. Nasomi

Nasomi New Member

Yes, I plan to take a friend of mine with me. He has a 40' with twin diesels, which he just rebuilt himself a few weeks ago. He's a superb mechanic and knows the ins and outs rather well, as he's been boating on 40' and larger yachts his entire life.

I've been hit up with quite a few offers, however I am not at the point where i absolutely need to buy a boat right this instant, so I'm taking my time and considering what's on the table carefully. At the price of the 25' discussed origionally, I may pick up both the Sundancer and the aft cabin assuming it checks out ok.
  7. Nasomi

Nasomi New Member

I have details regarding that aft cabin. It's a 1988 Bayliner 2455. It has new life vests, fish/depth finder, 2 batteries. The canvas is in good shape as well as the interior, and the trailer it's on. The motor has roughly 300 hours on it since the last rebuild, and everything is functioning properly. Unless something catestrophic happens, I will be going to see it in person this weekend.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A friend of mine used to have the same boat. It's nice for sitting at the dock on and making out with you girl. Otherwise use it for an anchor.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

that 2455 it's not an aft cabin, it's an express which like most have a mid ship berth under the helm area.

Aft cabins have the master stateroom all the way aft, by the stern, with an elevated aft deck above it.

i believe that by 1988 Bayliner had switched from volvo to OMC engine/drive. they have been out of production for a while now and parts/services are harder to find.

one big issue with these boats (small, 80s vintage) is that with their values being so low it's hard to justify putting any significant dollars in them. try to find the best one you can for the money...

for instance, a common problem on small older boat is water getting into the transom or stringers, often made of wood, covered with fiberglass. fixing a rotten transom or stingers will well exceed the value of these boats...
  10. Nasomi

Nasomi New Member

It is an OMC engine/drive. That was one of the primary spots I was planning on going over extensively, as I've looked at quite a few boats thus far, and that's often been a problem with the older boats I looked at. I read somewhere to take a ball peen hammer and tap lightly and listen for a hollow sound, which is what I've done thus far to determine if it's a concern spot regarding rot or weakening.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Use the handle side or better yet use your knuckel. With boats like these you'll be doing a $2,000 fiberglass job on a $1,000 boat if you use the hammer end.