Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

Bali or Thai style houseboat

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Aug 28, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

3. brian eiland

Here is a suggestion that was made on another forum as related to locating a floating house in the USA and possible avoiding some real estate taxes-assesements,....but it also may have some application in Thailand

Thought about that idea recently for the inland areas of Thailand. If your 'house' was 'floating capable' it might have made out better in those really bad floods they experienced this year. I'm over here now and I see many villages that experienced really high waters as the result of the dams up north having to release waters to lessen their overwheming loads....and many facilities that were located on the lakes formed by those dams.

Also since foreigners can't own land in Thailand, many times they build a house there and have to give it up for a total lose as they don't own the land it is built on. (in Thailand foreigners can't own the land, only with majority Thai nationals...girl-friend, wife, family) Now if the 'house' was mobile...as in floatable, or sectional...or....they just might salvage part of their investment in the event of a break-up....and it happens quite often in Thailand

Besides if your house could 'float' you might have this garden/pond scene without all of the foundation problems associated with being right next to water,...and you could rise and fall with the flood water much like a spud barge, or floating docks at a marina.

Attached Files:

4. brian eiland

One Pillar Pagoda

While I am still looking for my Thai styled floating accomodations, I thought I might first build a seaside office....or it might be lakeside or pond side.

Actually the photos here are of a re-creation of a famous Vietnamese one-pillar pagoda that sits in Hanoi. This re-creation sits on a big lake here in Khon Kaen Thailand. I really like this structure, and I might like it even more if it were a bit more Thai in its architecture.

...the original one...
    "Its unique design is of a three square meter wooden structure resembling a “lotus blossom”, the Buddhist symbol of Enlightenment. It sits on a concrete support (pillar) that replaces the original wooden one.

The original structure is thought to date from about 1049 during the Ly dynasty but the factual history is not clear. The pagoda has been damaged and restored many times. The last major demolition came at the hands of the French in 1954"

Can you imagine having a design office at waterside something like this...WOW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. brian eiland

Proper Cottage/Cabin on the Water

Here is a neat idea & somewhat I have in mind,...but in a Thai style

A houseboat sounds like a liberating place to live – but limiting as well for those who like to relax on the front porch, sun on the back deck or tend to growing plants in a garden. This floating homestead blows traditional boat-based homes out of the water, so to speak. How much to buy it? Well, the current owners purchased it a decade ago for around twenty-five thousands dollars USD.

Floating Cabin, off grid living, ps.jpg

floating-cabin-homestead,ps.jpg

Thai style floating next to pond.jpg

Floating Home

Powell River Books Blog
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. brian eiland

7. brian eiland

Man Made Island on old plastic bottles

plastic bottles again....

Man Made Island on old plastic bottles
    Richie Sowa's man made island - YouTube
  8. brian eiland

Attached Files:

9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Of course there are always practical negative reasons, but, boy, what a compelling possibility to live a less crowded life!
  10. brian eiland

These darn links that keep going bad. Lets see if we can provide this better link, and a few of the photos.
    Mae Taeng Dam - All House Boats Are Not Created Equal ! - Chiang Mai Forum - Thailand Forum
    Northern_Thai_lake_8, ps.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_12, ps.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_10_, ps.jpg

I was just talking with a new friend in Thailand today about this idea of a 'floating house'. I told him I had posted some ideas on several forums, and directed him here to have a look. I may have a lot more soon as I believe I will be making a trip down to that lake region in a week or so.
    Brian
  11. brian eiland

Living on a lake in Chiangmai

Over in Thailand again, and this idea of a floating house / cottage / whatever has resurfaced. So I'm going thru a few forums over here and look at this reference that has just turned up.....WOW

Living on a lake in Chiangmai
    Mountain Float

Attached Files:

12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Absolutely gorgeous! If I showed my wife that she'd never be happy until we up and left Canada to live out our days in a place exactly like that! :D
  13. brian eiland

Attached Files:

14. brian eiland

....and a few more just to make those suffering thru the snow times a little jealous

Attached Files:

15. brian eiland

...oh yeah, we need some coffee,..... after that night at the bar
    2925254_58_z,660.jpg
    2925254_49_z,660.jpg
    dusk and lighting.jpg
    2925254_61_z,660.jpg

and you are in Thailand, so another message
    2925254_68_z,660.jpg
  16. weto

weto Senior Member

Yer killin me brian !
  17. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Some import ideas...

Those massage ladies... would make good crew members... !

That floating snake river yacht is another idea... sure solves the jungle flooding problems... ! Or, is that a floating train yacht... ?

And, that floating tiki bar cat might make retracing Thor Heyerdahl voyage worth a go... !
  18. brian eiland

19. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Brian... after all this time of reading your beautiful pictures... I finally read your premise for this thread.

Well yes and no. A few years ago visiting NE France we ventured over to Holland so I could look at boats. Well we saw these floating concrete constructed houses. The house was just a a normal house but the basement was a float chamber so the house could float. At the corners were concrete pilings or columns set into the ground under water. The columns came up through cast holes in each corner of the house foundation/float. The house could float up and down with raising water level. Well the ladies really liked this idea of a "boat". Why because I could not flood like a shore house but was stationary... which to them is the important thing.

The grand dame of the household and her ideas that this was the perfect "boat":
    Well it it occurred to me if the piers were placed outboard of the foundation/raft and the attachments to them were rather than through the foundation/raft but removably attached you could detach the floating house and transport it to another parking spot with the vertical column set up.

Now this is not your anchor line floating platform idea but its close. Actually it's not too far of how many motor yachts are used. Exactly that is what the 90 year old in the household pointed out!
  20. brian eiland

I've seen some of those examples in my web searches where the 'float chamber' is a hollow core concrete structure. And that makes sense in some applications, particularly where no 'portability' is a consideration.

At present I really like the idea of just utilizing steel tubes as the floatation devices. I can imagine that these steel tubes could also form the backbone of support for this floating house/cottage to be moved overland by road, either in a move between two different locations/settings, or even from a small scale assembly plant. If the house/cottage structure is of a reasonably lt-weight, and the tubes are of sufficient diameter and thickness (I'm thinking gas-line tubing), then just a dolly wheel arrangement under the tubes would be sufficient to move the 'cottage' (perhaps in halfs) rather than needing some sort of trailer transport and offloading crane at designation point. ...somewhat akin to house trailers in the USA.

Fully understand ;)

Might be an important consideration in Thailand where a lot of 'gentleman' lose their investments in house building as they can not own the land its built on. But now a 'mobile abode' might make a difference.....:cool: