Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

Bahama's backing-off entrance fees

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jan 24, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The Bahamian government recently announced a change in its Cruising Permit Fee structure to allow for two entries within a 90-day period rather than only one entry.

The same fee scale announced on July 1 remains - $150 for boats up to 35 feet and $300 for boats over 35 feet. However, by allowing two entries for the same fee, the rate is effectually cut in half for those who choose to frequent the islands more than once in a 90-day period.

Personally, I think this is a joke! Very few boaters return within a 90 day period, however many of us frequent the islands more than once a year.

Since these fees were put into effect, we've chosen alternate destinations, along with dozens of other boaters we know. Thousands of boaters frequent the islands and spend a fair amount of money on accomodations, provisions, fuel and entertainment. The Bahamian government effectively cut off a large revenue stream and frankly.... they deserve it!

Just my .02 cents. Soap Box off.
  2. Tweaked Torpedo

Tweaked Torpedo New Member

I agree! This is a joke. I have all but stopped cruising to the Bahamas for this reason. I use to go three or four times a year, but now... I'm spending more time exploring the Keys. I'm planning on cruising the West Coast of Florida as well.

Maybe these fees are a good thing, because it forces us to find new areas to explore closer to home... and keep our money close to home too.
  3. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Bahamas ain't all that

The Bahamas Gov may have had a press release to this fact but if you go to their web site, it is still the original $300 system.

Just for fun, I sent the Aesops Fable, The Goose Who Laid the Golden Egg to the Tourist Bureau.

We need more boaters to write the Tourist Bureau and tell them now that we will never return to the Bahamas until they reinstate the old fee schedule.

These people are obviously smoking way too much of their own product.

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/about/general.aspx?sectionid=26171&level=2

tourism@bahamas.com
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  4. fish

fish New Member

could not agree more. Keys sounds like a good alternative for a change.

Fish
  5. Allegretto93

Allegretto93 New Member

Fees

Come on guys --- some people are just not getting the point that the Bahamas are trying to make!!! They feel that to many people are coming over and using up the resources --- they don't care about our money. It's their country and their choice. It's sorta nice to see a group that will not sell out their country for money --- maybe an idea that we Americans should take a look at!! I would say that they are pretty smart ---- their plan is working well. I read all the time where boaters are complaining about the fees and "refuse to go back". I am sure that all of us reading this site are responsible boaters --- we always pick up our trash when we leave the islands and never catch more fish than we can eat and never, never empty our holding tanks in the anchorage, but there are a lot of people that do all of the above and more. I think they feel that we are using up their country a little to fast ----- good for them, I'm glad someone is taking care of it ----- it's a fine place to visit.