Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross

Bad Experience with Sea Tow; Sag Harbor

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ken Bracewell, Aug 18, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I was booted off the high school yearbook committee because I never took any pics there either.
  2. localangler

localangler New Member

Pushing on the port corner of a boat with three very hungry outboards churning the water seems to be inviting injury with one misplaced step or does it look worse in the picture than what is was in reality.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

YOU THINK??!!:eek: Actually it was way worse in person than it looks in the picture. First he sent a 90 lb girl to the bow which did nothing; then sent 8 others which also did nothing since the boat was on rocks bow to stern. Those engines were running wide open and the props were within inches of rocks and sending them up in the propwash. The guy furthest out to the left is in the target zone, the 2nd guy is 3 ft. away from the quarter, check the left leg of the guy on the stbd quarter, the guy on the port quarter was pushing straight onto the transom beside that prop. The funny thing about this is that just a while before they watched these guys IMG_0543.JPG get their boat stuck, then have it dragged across the rocks (instead of waiting for the next high tide) but didn't catch the hint that they should move theirs before the tide went out further.
  4. localangler

localangler New Member

With the price of the Fountain you think he would at least of obtained some training or at least had common sense before placing all of that money on the rocks and then blasting the motors. I need to remember that money does not buy common sense. And when I talk about common sense it is only being applied to getting off of the rocks because I know how easy it is to end up with your draft exceeding your depth especially when chasing fish that like really shallow water.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

FISH?:eek: You use a boat like this to fish in your area? Around here these are just used to impress the girls. No skill or common sense needed.:D You ought to see when they get near a dock or a slip. They put their bow near and start tossing lines.:rolleyes:
  6. localangler

localangler New Member

Wish I could fish out of a fountain but no I chase fish in a bay skiff. It is all I can afford and the fish haven't complained yet about the fact that I am not in a top tier boat. At least I am on the water. If I had a nice offshore boat like that I would I don't know go back to fishing offshore and get the internationals and plastics out of the garage. At least the good Lord has given me the ability to get my family out and about inshore. It is time I will cherish forever.

Boat ramps in South Carolina are more for entertainment than using on the weekends during the summer down here. I've seen more than a couple of boats come off of trailers as they get pulled out. A few laying on the road after leaving the boat ramp. It is good to get weekdays off. I'll bet our sea tow operation down here has some stories I just hope they act better than the one that started this post.
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Who backs their boat into a beach anyway? That's what the pointy end is for.
  8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Ken,
    Not trying to take sides here, but maybe since Sea Tow doesn't reply on YF is that he doesn't want or can't have this situation played out in a public forum. He may have some sort of litigation going on or planned that he can't give up his ace. Would like to hear his side and the owners, too. Just my $0.02

PS It has been a it soggy here in South Forida, but not as bad as central FL. Melbourne had over 25 inches of rain, flooding everywhere. OUCH!
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How are you going to get the babes on and off the boat from the "pointy end". Keeping the drives over the dropoff has your stern in 15' of water and remember, those bikinis aren't for swiming. The proceedure with I/O's or outboards is to drop the main hook in safe water, raise the drives and back in as far as possible; then send out a lunch hook to or towards the beach. Then cut the engines and kedge yourself in as shallow as possible by the lunch hook while letting out the main anchor. HOWEVER, you better know which way the tide is heading and keep track.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

"How are you going to get the babes on and off the boat from the "pointy end"."

oh come on... you know better than that! YOU CARRY THEM IN YOUR ARMS!!!

you can't do that if they can just step off the stern in knee deep water!
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The guy who carries his babe in carries her to me.:cool:

BTW: I'd still love to hear Sea Tow's explanation for not rendering assistance. If "He may have some sort of litigation going on or planned that he can't give up his ace." are there any attorneys out there who could enlighten us as to where he might be vulnerable by dropping some boom or giving (or selling) it to the guy doing the job for him to use. (This leaves me a little worried about rendering assistance.) The title of this thread would then have been: TowBoat US with the assistance of Sea Tow works to protect Sag Harbor.
    Where's the downside in that?
  12. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Which was kind of my point.
    Address the emergency at hand, worry about the my money / your money later.
  13. Ken Bracewell

Rumor Has It

Funny thing. We are back in Sag Harbor for the night and the word on the dock is that the 55' Hinckley was the tender to Curt C!
    Funny thing is that we performed the rescue in our 28' tender AND the boat name had already been changed to Rena.
    Dock Talk cracks me up!
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Which is why I like to see things in print.
    Anybody for a game of telephone:p
    I'd still like to see Sea Tows explanation, but I guess that's just not coming.
    BTW Ken. I hope you'll post a picture of that 55 atop Rena. I can lend you my chain saw if you need to cut the bridge off.;)
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

came across this picture, origin unknown... what a sad sight.

Attached Files:

16. Ken Bracewell

That was well after she was towed to the beach. That housetop was submerged when she was in deeper water
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Some yellow in that pic could have given it good contrast if you get my drift.:cool:
  18. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

So would some more blue of that hull. So sad to see such a beautiful boat ruined:( I have always been a fan of Hinckleys as well as doing the right thing. Its a shame that politics and economics are more important to some people these days than doing the right thing. But maybe there is a perfectly good explanatin out there somewhere...

Dan
  19. Ken Bracewell

Aftermath

A friend of a friend of a friend took these pictures and got them to me. Not much detail, but you can see it wasn't what you would call a nuisance leak :p

Attached Files:

20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm trying to place the spot from the photo. Did he come out past the jetty and turn south (right), (or visa versa coming in)? If so there is just no excuse for being there. Aside from the buoys (and clear markings on the charts) a local captain isn't all that expensive all things considered, and at least just a conversation with one is free.