Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Bad evening on the New River for someone.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt Bill11, Feb 28, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

I have a feeling I know what type of boat you are referring to. We did go up the New River many years ago and came around a bend only to confronted with some giant MY being towed down the river. And yes, we did have and monitored a VHF, had heard nothing to warn us of what was ahead.
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Jungle Queen on the New River. It can get tight at times if your not on the radio paying attention. Cool part about her is that she has rudders fore and aft and is highly maneuverable.

JungleQueen.jpg
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I actually passed her 10 years ago at night in that very same spot but 100' west. Just on the East side of 3rd avenue in a 75' Hatteras My that didn't have a bow thruster. We had about 5' on each side and the people on the jungle queen were awestruck that we passed so close.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not sure if it's been the same boat these last 30+ years, sure not the same captains but never an issue.
    Countless times I have hailed her and the skipper comes back, he has already ducked in somewhere and waiting for me to pass.
    Working the radio is important here. In the back of your mind you can start plotting where you and all else are. Long before AIS and may still be better.
    JQs captains have this down to an extra science.
    She is big but sweet, thanks to her operators.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.