Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Comfort

Back-up camera

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by 406 Carver, May 13, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 406 Carver

406 Carver New Member

I've tried searching for everything from rear-view, to docking assistance, to back-up cameras on this Forum, to no avail. I find it hard to believe, but I can't find a thread that talks about adding a back-up camera and suggestions or guidance on the same.

I have a 2000 406 ACMY with a "very" narrow fairway approach. With the additional 3-4 feet that gets added to the swim platform when the dingy is along for the ride, backing in and pulling forward can be a bit of an adventure. In a wind-less situation, there are no issues, but how often is there zero wind/current...lol. I've found a tremendous amount of information from members of this forum in the past, and I'm hoping at least a few of you could point me in the general direction of what to look for as I begin this latest project. I'm not looking to make home movies that can be played on a big screen TV, (so the $1500 units are out), I'm just looking for a nice clear accurate account of where the back of my boat is in relation to the pilings. If you pressed me for a figure, I'd be ok with anything under $400. (I would do the install)

Most of what I've read on-line at this point has been helpful, but hands on experience from those that actually use these gadgets is ALOT more valuable.

Thanks in advance for any advice/experiences shared.

Joe
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I all depends on what you are going to view the camera on.

On the Johnson 70 I run we have a basic surveillance cam above the swim platform. $100 or so. The output goes to an RF modulator which takes the video signal and converts it to a regular tv channel so that any tv on th boat can access it, including a 24" flat screen up in the sky lounge, visible from the helm

Or you can just hook up the output to the video in of any flat screen, without using a modulator

If you don't have a flat screen visible from the helm, or if your flybirdge is too bright to see a clear picture, you can send the output to most modern plotters

An alternative is to use an ip cam which would send the signal wirelessly to an onboard wifi router which can be accessed by a tablet. This is fairly inexpensive (google ip cams) and a tablet is easier to read on bright canvas FB than a tv.
  3. ksbguy

ksbguy Member

I have a Raymarine Cam100 camera wired to a E120W display on the bridge.

To be honest I never really use it. The picture isn't as good as I would have hoped. Maybe it's the fact that it's mounted on the hardtop and the swim platform is far away - CPMY. All I use it for is to make sure I'm not going to hit the dock when all the way in the slip but not to judge pilings. You need to have it display on a screen that won't be affected by glare such as a marine chart plotter or you won't be able to see the image in sunlight...
  4. Carver38

Carver38 Member

Don't know how this issue resolved for you but for the benefit of anyone else with a similar situation I'll share my experience. My Aft Cabin has a hard top with a full canvas enclosure so rear visibility is pretty poor, almost non-existent.

I ran a wire between the sandwiched skins of the hardtop (No fun at all!) and connected a home security type camera to my Garmin 7215. It gives a pretty good view of the swim platform in relationship to the dock when backing in, although I wish it were a wider angle. But anything that gives some point of reference is better than nothing IMHO.

I would strongly advise AGAINST using a wireless camera like a dropcam or similar. I tried that first because it's so easy, but the lag time meant that by the time my image was current, I'd have already hit the dock!

The hard wired cam has no lag of course and that's the single most important criteria isn't it? You want to know what's happening right NOW, not a few seconds from now!
  5. timjet

timjet Member

How about a mirror?

It's part of my KISS principal.

Attached Files:

6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I use one on the Sunseeker and it is wired to one of the displays, but the picture is kind of dark and honestly it's hard for me to focus on the display and whats going on outside of the boat......back and forth.....you literally have to focus on the display for a few seconds..... then when you look back out the sides or back, re-focus again.

Timjet- I would recommend putting something between the s/s hose clamp and your tower leg to insulate the s/s from the anodized aluminum so they don't touch each other.....but good idea that works.....
  7. timjet

timjet Member

Thanks hadn't thought of that. A strip of rubber cut from an old inner tube should work.
  8. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Did a permanent camera bow, transom on one on the mast looking back.
    the bow was just Ok but the transom was hard to read ether to dark to bright and relative points when docking were confusing .
    don't know about trusting myself relying on the front and back cameras
    I sure love the mast mount backwards to watch smaller boats sneaking up in your wake I feel it is a must have
    I have heard some people are using Go Pro and Contour cameras wireless and they have good success.
    I have a contour I use on my motorcycle helmet and on a mount on the tender that works well Might try it this year on the main boat
    Will keep you posted
  9. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

If you search Ebay for reverse image camera's there are a ton of them. Most have some infrared capabilities also. I had 2 backup bullet style camera's like the Raymarine on my last boat as I had zero visibility back. My 466 has a single Raymarine camera. I wouldn't pay the premium for the Raymarine.

You have to remember that the wider the angle of vision, the more distorted it will become. The 'fisheye' effect amplifies.

Colour wasn't great on my old ones, and isn't noticeably better on this one, but it's not important. One thing that does make a difference is keeping the lens clean. Spiders seem to LOVE the area in front of the lens and that can be a problem. I used to make a point of cleaning them before each weekend.

Ensure you get a REVERSE image camera, otherwise left will be right and right will be left.

They do take getting used to and I don't really use mine anymore. I have great rear visibility in the 466 and I bow into my dock anyway. On my last boat, my first slip wasn't wide enough for the boat. It was a 45' slip but I could get less than 30' into it before I would be wedged in. I had to stay in that slip for 2 months until a bigger one became available. This was why I had 2 cameras, one connected to each plotter. I literally had inches to spare. It was alway a treat docking and getting 'helpers' yell that I was too close.

My problem with the 466 is that the helm is in the centre of the boat and I can't accurately judge how close to the dock I am when I'm along side it. I always end up a foot away figuring it's better to be a bit far than too close :) I have bow and stern thrusters too.
  10. praetorian47

11. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

It is a challenge backing in our 444 and seeing behind with or without the dinghy on. I mounted 2 cameras on the hard top and they display on the Garmin monitor. I don't have pictures because this is a relatively new project. If you PM me I will be happy to share the adventures of running cables and mounting the cameras. For what it is worth I found the same camera offered by Garmin without the Garmin name and for about 1/4 the price.

I have also recently seen posts on a forum (I thought this one) where someone used wireless web cams to an IPAD/tablet. If you Google using an Ipad as a backup monitor you find where they have been used on autos and RVs. That may give you some ideas too.
  12. Carver38

Carver38 Member

The Garmin cam, selling for over $400, is a $50 camera with the Garmin name printed on it. I feel it's absolutely disgraceful that Garmin does that to it's loyal customers that really want their entire electronics package to have the Garmin name. It's really gouging their customers and taking advantage of people who have more money than brains. All it takes is a few minutes of research to discover how stupefyingly over-priced it is, as it is IDENTICAL to the cams priced at or under $100, based on where you buy it. And by "identical" I mean it is that SAME camera, no doubt built in the same Chinese factory, but instead of being shipped from it's unbranded division gets stamped with the Garmin name and packaged in a Garmin labeled box.

Sorry for the rant, but I am loyal to Garmin because I really do believe their electronics are top-notch. So it really angers me that a company who develops and offers such good gear (albeit expensive, but no more than the other top tier names) would take a cheap camera built for them overseas and marketed everywhere for $50 to $100 and slap their name on it and QUADRUPLE the price, as though their customers are all just a bunch of idiots who never do their homework before spending their hard earned dollars.
  13. praetorian47

Raymarine does the same thing.

What I really want is a pan/tilt/zoom IP camera that would work outside and not be a huge eyesore! Try those on for ridiculous costs!
  14. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

you could buy a cheap spot light that tilts and so on and remove the light and put a camera on it.. but they do make camers that do have those functions..