Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Azimut Magellano

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by vwDavid, Feb 22, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. vwDavid

vwDavid New Member

This is my first post on this forum. I joined to discuss the Azimut Magellano series with this forum. Unfortunately the Azimut section is quite slow.

I am not a yacht'r at the moment, but I have been around boats all my life and have life long memories yachting with my childhood friend when we were young...the the dream is before me...

I was someone disappointed to read of the negativity toward azimut on this forum. Although I appreciated Azimut designs up till now it wasn't a wow must have boat for me- a bit too flashy...until I started reading about the Magellano...I am in lust...

You see a true trawler design is intriguing to me, but I prefer a tad more style and uniqueness (and a small dose of flashiness) to go with it. The Magellano 76 has me head over heels in love.

There in enters my disappointment to read about some of the less desirable aspects of the Azimut line (mechanical fore-thought, reliability, parts availability etc...) Now, I acknowledge I am merely arm chair quarterbacking here, but I have read, watched, and looked at every detail of the Magellano 76 (and older 74) that I can find on the net. To me it looks like it possibly has a bit more quality and purposeful design than other Azimuts of the past. IE the engine room and Lazarette look spacious- but I don't have any idea what systems are hidden away.

Will it be a better value? Who knows? But it is the Magellano line that I wanted to start a discussion about to see what others are thinking about it.

The YF review of the 74 linked above is quite nice, but there are not many personal accounts at all. I presume they have sold a few 43's and 50's but who knows if they have sold at 74/76's...

Anyway, lets discuss if anyone has any further insight or just wants to discuss vicariously with me.

Question: Is a 1500 L fresh water supply big, good, small? I know so many factors will play into this but lets say 4 pax on board could you go 4 weeks with 1500 L with some slight conservation?

-David
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends, do you plan on taking any showers? Under typical usage that size water tank will last you 3-4 days, maybe 5 days, under normal usage with 4 people. With a watermaker and in fairly clean water, you can make all of the freshwater you want.

It seems like over time, Azimut hasn't learned all that much in improving their engineering and product. Certain things they do well, typically the hulls are strong enough and ride fairly well, their gelcoat lasts a long time.......their engineering leaves very little to be desired.
  3. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi there David and welcome aboard!

I might be the only one that has something good to say about Azimut, but all have their opinions and experiences and this is mine.

First the emotional part: I adore anything made by "Azimut/Benetti"! Yet this was based on actually being on them and as I have said many times; "I lost my magayacht virginity on a Benetti" and since then am so hooked!

The first Magellanos sold were the 74'ers, the smaller ones followed after about two years, and despite my love to Azimut, the main deck interior space on the smaller ones was not thought out, and seems to be a down grade from what you see on the 74, I've been on one and was so impressed by the performance, open feeling, setting and finishing to a degree that if I wanted to express it I would get so intimitly graphic!

There are two 74'ers I know of that are for charter, one in Mallorca-Spain, the other is in Cannes, no words or advise is like being aboard the boat you want to buy and experiencing it first hand. It is made with owner operator in mind needing minimal crew, depending on yout boating needs, so you will find it easy to interact with, operate and upkeep.

Usually people ask about fuel consumtion, not water! Magellano comes rigged with a water maker, so their is a source to replenish your water stock and it all comes on your habbits of conserving or wasting water.

To be fair to others with bad experience, I have only dealt with Azimut in the med. and am very satisfied. Those that are not are mostly in the US, over there, boats are produced in Brazil, by Azimut, I don't think there is a difference but a note worth mentioning, and there is a service center in Lauderdale which according to the experience and comments of many professionals you will find around here, I think should be re-structured by the company because they don't seem to be backing up a good product properly. I did not have ceilings fall over my head or even shake and get loose, nor did I have to wait for weeks for parts like you will hear from professionals in the states that are managing and operating Azimuts.

If you are going for a new boat, I'd suggest you upgrade many things, after all this is a production boat builder and in many casses they use the bare-minimum of equipment, don't try to stretch your buck! You should compress two or three bucks in one! I presonally like to fit the largest bilge pumps that can reasonably fit, upgrade the alarm system, fire supression system, backups, anything you need to do to make your little moving island safer and more enjoyable. While you go through this process you will find very useful information and suggestions around here from marine engineers, operators and managers, this place crowls with knowledge and is so fun and helpful to hang around.

Sorry if I got carried away!

Enjoy your time around.

Cheers,
  4. vwDavid

vwDavid New Member

Capt J and Alfred, thanks for the discussion. I'm glad to hear at least one other person thinks the magellano is pretty swell.

Anyhow, yes the fuel capacity and range discussion is quite well covered on various other reviews since this model is really made for increased range, though it ain't gonna cross the atlantic w/o aux tanks.

Thanks for letting me know it has an on-board watermaker. I guess there is probably an options list a mile long that no one gets to see unless you are commissioning a build.

It seems the 76 has a much improved layout over the 74 but I agree that while the 50 is nice, the layout isn't optimal. I guess I'll wait to see how many 76's they sell and what they look like a couple years old...
  5. kimweng

kimweng New Member

Hi David,

I also think the Magellano looks great on the web, and I would like to have one as well. However, it seems the lack of any feedback from actual owners is not entirely reassuring. Any idea how many 50s have Azimut actually delivered?

kim
  6. vwDavid

vwDavid New Member

Thanks Kim,

It seems there might be handful of 50's and perhaps two 74's out there. Maybe one 76?

In anycase, when I was originally in lust with the Magellano's I shunned the Nordhavns for the flashyness of the Az but I've started realizing that maybe Nordhavn is really where its at unless you have a huge bank roll in the med. There is some negative criticism on this forum for Az.

The speed of the azimut is nice, but I like the economy of the Nordhavn 76.
  7. CaptCook

CaptCook New Member

I just returned from Miami show. Spent 3 days there looking at 45-55' flybridges, anywhere from Riviera to Azimut to Palm Beach.

PB 55 FB was absolutely stunning but way above my budget.
    Still like Riviera and Maritimo open FB for price and functionality.

This Magellano 50 really impressed me for many reasons:
    - stylish and functional design and layout
    - dual mode hull with 2 cruising speeds (!!!)
    - fuel efficient
    - gyro stabilizer
    - very family friendly long range cruiser

I don't know much about engineering and rely solely on the reviews and feedback. I'm still concerned with what I read about Azimut quality issues and general dislike of the brand.

Is anything being done to address these issues? I do like the boat.