Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Azimut 70 Sea Jet

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by elsupremo, Apr 27, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

I am to considering a 70 sea jet or a 74 solar,this thread is over six years old ........to sea jet or not to sea jet?... how are these boats holding up?
  2. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

I have ran a few SeaJet 70's with the 12V183 MTU's in them, and the boat ran flawlessly. Delivered the boat from Boca Raton to Charleston a few years ago, and while we had the ocean in our favor, she rode really well, and made for an extremely pleasant delivery. I was able to average about 21 knots cruising which the owner appreciated when it came time to fuel, and the boat felt very solid to me. I have since ran quite a few 64's, 72's, 85's and most recently the 116
    Azimut, and this one felt very solid to me, and was very easy around the docks. I know of a few for sale if you would like some recommendations, will be happy to send you the links.
  3. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thanks captain tilt
    I am looking for something that might be a little rough or substained some hurricane damage , would like to buy it really right so I can go thru the boat and update it and make some changes , azimut or similar style boat, should I stay away from boats with V-drives ?
    Matt
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I used to run a 70' seajet as well and also a few 68 plus'. The seajet is a very good sea boat. A bit wet in a sea, but had her in 8-10's off of the beam. We had new naiad digital stabilizers at the time and the boat would stay so flat, the props would unload from time to time. Fueling it was a pain in the rear as you had to transfer it to the forward tank or let it gravity fill which took forever. Getting anything in and out of the engine room was a pain in the rear with the straight up and down ladder and tiny door. The 12v183's were expensive to maintain and always smoked/stinky at slow speeds. The Galley is hideously small for a boat of it's size and hardly any refrigeration. But, it had a great layout and rode good.......a lot of windage though, so if docking and windy, you'd have to really pay attention.
  5. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Matt,

I don't think it really matters on the V-Drives, in fact most of the Azimuts and boats in that size range normally have V-Drives, and there really isn't a difference, a lot of people say that they feel different around the docks, but once you get used to it, it's all the same anyway. I agree with Capt J in that they can be a little wet in a heavy sea, but the engine room is small, and the fuel transferring is a pain, but nothing to major. I know of a SeaJet in Aventura that you can get pretty reasonably, and has been for sale for quite some time, and while I've never been on it, it has sat for quite some time.