Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Audio Upgrade - subs and amps recommendations

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by love2speed, Apr 12, 2018.

1. love2speed

love2speed New Member

I'm looking to add a couple of 10 or 12 inch subs to my 06 Carver 41 CMY and was wondering what to get. I realize there are some type of subs that require an enclosure (Sealed or Ported box) for proper performance, but since I'd be installing them in under seat compartments (bulkheads) I'm wondering if the regular types are OK or if I need to by the 'free air" variety.

Also I don't want to spend a fortune, this is not going into any audio competitions, so any recommendations a good value brand / model for subs and amp would be appreciated?

Lastly the subs are going to be installed under cover away from the elements, can I get away with regular automotive equipment or do I need to get marine grade, which I believe are automatically more expensive.

Thanks in advance
  2. Perlmudder

Perlmudder Member

For mounting it under a seat, you are going to be best off with a free air sub, as the compartments under the seat are going to be too large volume wise to act as a box, and will not seal well.

As for options, my former boss installed a JL system in his 53 Voyager. JL is definitely high quality, and the cost is up there. Wet sounds also makes great marine speakers and are also at a similar price point to JL. Kicker makes a good product, and all their speakers are waterproof which is nice. Their cost is a lot more reasonable. I have a kicker system in my boat, and it has been great for the past 8 years. Most companies out there can make a good product, it really just depends on what you want to spend.

I would start looking at Crutchfield, and see what is available at what price point you are looking at, and then I would shop around a bit and see what you can find.

Do you keep your boat in Toronto?