Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

Astro - Bare minimum

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by WindyFarmer, Feb 21, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. WindyFarmer

WindyFarmer New Member

Hiyas. Used to be on here as Denzil but can't find my password and still awaiting an email to reset.....
    Anyways......

Could someone give me some info on YM Ocean requirements with regards to astro/sextant work.
    I want to upgrade to YM Ocean but haven't as yet had chance to do the necessary studying or exam. I do have a trans Pacific qualifying passage but there was no sextant on board and even if there was, i'm still a bit astro-clueless tbh.
    In my current job there is little scope for set courses over noon so not really any time to do a sunrunsun. However, i've just been asked to deliver a slow boat from UK to Denmark which will give me an opportunity to do some sextant work. I've managed to borrow a sextant and i'm frantically researching how to actually use the thing.
    What i want to do is
    1) take the necessary sights/times/bearings etc whilst on passage
    2) undertake a YM Ocean theory course on returning from Denmark
    3) use my sightings taken on way to Denmark and knowledge gained on Ocean theory course to complete my Ocean examination.

For the oral i need written evidence of,and i quote 'The records must include as a minimum: planning, reduction and plotting of a sun run meridian altitude sight and a compass check carried out using the bearing of the sun, moon, a star or planet.'

What i need to know is exactly what data do i need to collect on the passage?
    I think i get the sun run meridian bit. I guess i just need to take times and sextant readings from 11:30 to 12:30 (ish) at regular intervals. Is that the only info i need for the sun run meridian whilst at sea?
    Can someone give me any info on the 'compass check'?

Sorry this sounds really unprofessional but i have to take this opportunity to get the data as gawd knows when i'll be doing another passage. I'll soon be doing my master200 orals and if i pass i want it to be unlimited rather than 150 miles limited.

Any help greatly appreciated :)
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You will need a few more bits of kit in addition to your sextant.

Try looking at this.

All about sailing - Astro Navigation

You will also find it simpler if you get a sight reduction worksheet where you basically have to fill in the blanks - it will help you to remember all the steps.

I have to say given what you have written you do not seem to have much of an idea of how Celestial Navigation works so do you really think you are up to moving up to the next level of qualification?

Have you thought about doing a course where all these things will be taught to you in a hands on fashion?
  3. WindyFarmer

WindyFarmer New Member

Cheers.
    Yeah i'm quite happy improving my qualification as that qualification will be based on my knowledge at time of taking, not my current knowledge. And as i explained, i'm planning to take the Ocean course and getting lots more experience before i take the oral.
    All i'm looking to do is get the basic data on this passage so that i can use that data in the future. What i need to know is what basic data do i need to get on this passage so that i can then use it for my future assessments.
  4. WindyFarmer

WindyFarmer New Member

Thanks fior the link btw. It looks like a great basic start for me.