Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko Click for Furuno

Artemis Accident

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by chuckb, May 9, 2013.

1. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

I enjoy the America's Cup competition, including the extreme evolution of boats, but sooner or later the dangers would take their toll.

Sad news, it will be interesting to see what develops both in a review of what happened, and if there will be restrictions as a result...

Sailor Dies in Capsize of America's Cup Boat - ABC News
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Looks like it was blowing 20kts on the bay this afternoon with gusts in the 25 to 30kts range.. That may prove to be on the high side for these boats, not sure what the racing rules set as limit
  3. 84far

84far Senior Member

This is f*#ked! Sorry for the language, but this never should of happen! Andrew died while doing something he loved, but it would of been a cold way to go.

When you have the AC designers saying these boats are scary and dangerous... it makes you wonder. Take the foils off and slow the boats down I say, the punters have to remember when a boat like this pitch poles, your 10-20m above the sea - going 40mph...

Looks like the port hull came off under load...?

Far
  4. AngelaLowe

AngelaLowe Guest

Extremely tragic, unbelievable really, thanks chuckb, for sharing this, I can't find anything further, did anyone find out what came about in the review of the accident?
  5. 84far

84far Senior Member

It got swept under the rug pretty quickly, I'll have a bit of a search today. I think he got knocked out + caught in the hull. The air tank that's strapped to them is only good for three good breaths. But I think he never got the chance to get to it.

Far
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Looks like the ABC news link is hosed.

I have watch some of those new racing hulls. Wow, They are impressive. I would hope all involved and all of the crew know and have known that they are pressing a new envelope. I think this is a second mishap. I am truly sorry.

I can only offer; When pursuing a new frontier, with a smile from ear to ear, you pass in peace chasing your ambitions, desires, love and LIFE.

,rc