Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Perko

Are there reliable underwater scooters?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by P46-Curaçao, Jan 15, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I've used them many times scuba diving. They are used by the general public all the time and have been around for decades in one form or another. In fact you can rent them at many dive locations. I have.

It's not like you are rocketing around down there unless you are a complete idiot. If you exercise just a little common sense when using one you are very unlikely to get into trouble. And I wouldn't call them "insanely dangerous" for crying out loud.

I'm sure some one has F-ed up while using them. But I have never heard of it.
  2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Seabob F5

I was on my first day of the Duesseldorf boat show today. On the Seabob exhibition stand, I was introduced to the newest version of the Seabob F5 model. This new 2014 version has many improvements and new safety features. It is much easier and safer to use now.

The maximum speed settings and max. allowable depth can be preset and encoded, so kids and greenhorns can not exceed set or wanted limits. The clip on gear mechanism has been improved and getting stuck on the scooter will be, if at all, a very rare occasion. Means, most of my concerns are taken care of. A mounting position for a camera and a tender tracking system has been added.

At slow speed mode and with a 10 ft depth limit (for example), the 2014 Seabob F5, with its permanent 22 lbs residual buoyancy, is idiot proof.

I still believe, for scuba diving, special dive scooters should be used.
  3. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Could you send some picture of the 2014 Seabob F5, HTM09?

Vielen dank im voraus!
  4. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Hope this helps:

Seabob F5 | SEABOB
  5. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Seabob F5

That link is perfect and explains it much better than I could do with my humble performance as a photographer.

As to the clip on gear mechanism: I do believe the new quick release mechanism is almost 100 % fail safe now. The problem I see is, that scooter can do almost 14 Kts and is advertised for a depth of 40 Meters. Also it will not do its full speed at that depth, you have to reach the emergency release lever against that water pressure at depth and speed. Doing this with full scuba diving gear and in neoprene clothing in a panik type situation, might be questionable.

IMHO, going deeper and with full gear, I would not strap to it and only go in preset slow mode. And for this adrenaline junkie type fun sports, I am to old anyhow :D.
  6. P46-Curaçao

The F5 looks impressive but, at the end, it's way over the top for me, I just want to have a small reliable device to get me from my boat at anchor to the beach (and back)
  7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Seabob F5

P-46, I fully agree with you. That scooter is far to expensive, to big and heavy for your purpose. But the question of this thread was about the reliability of those scooters :D.

For your personal need I woud use a little fully inflatable dinghy with a little electric outboard (like the small torqeedo 503 with internal battery). With a two way electrical air pump, that dinghy can be inflated and deflated in just a few minutes and both outboard and dinghy "thrown" into a locker after use. And the whole setup is much cheeper and You will reach the beach with a dry butt :).
  8. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

9. P46-Curaçao

HTM09, you're right, and the F5 is too big and heavy for my purpose.

I have a dinghy, but look for a easy to handle device, for distances like below...

sIMG00544-20131208-1332.jpg
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

11. Capt Bill11

Fighting chair ejection seat? :)
  12. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Would this make life easier for the admiral?

http://www.lifting.com/literature/thern/Thern-Reid-Porta-Davit.pdf
  13. Capt Bill11

What about a 2 person kayak? You could lay it across your swim platform. If you have one. Or perhaps you could get a inflatable kayak or stand up paddle board.
  14. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Darn... That looks about 300 meters... it's not the Channel nor looks cold to me... you should be able to swim that one... heavens my old broke down 91 year old grandma could do that in and back.

Just joking... she'd only be 127 now... but wasn't quite mean enough to make that!
  15. P46-Curaçao

As a former racecar driver, I need a form of propulsion...lol :cool:
  16. P46-Curaçao

Well, this could be an interestig alternative, we dock most of the time at the stern, so a dinghy permanently fitted at the stern would be very inconvenient (and ugly)
  17. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Hi P46-Curaçao

This is the cheapest it will get. Around 500 to 600 US $ and then row, row, row your boat :D.

B.T.W. Inflating or deflating with the 12V two-way pump will take maybe 5 minutes. And there is no crane needed, even Karos Grandma could lift it out of the water. And if this is still to expensive P-46, are You stingy ? ;)

Attached Files:

18. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

19. P46-Curaçao

Dear YachtFormus friends, why do you all think I'm afraid of getting wet :confused:

Overhere the water temperature is always around 80F, so no issue at all!

The senior admiral likes to swim all day, but I´m not...:D
  20. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Then train her to pull the dinghy and you will get your propulsion :D.

Attached Files: