Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Burger

Anyone taking a yacht up to the Great Lakes this season; plans? route?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt J, May 4, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Freebird

Freebird Member

Hitting the locks well so far, and Wilkins comes up in about 30 minutes. Anyone who doesn’t want a free boat wash should use the LDB side of Whitten. It’s spraying water all along the other wall. I’m sure that’ll be addressed during the maintenance closure that’s coming up soon.

Steve said we’re good with four feet, but as has been said, it’s super soft. Just didn’t want to plow with that 60 in there coming up.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The owner of Colombus is a super nice guy. He told us that about the depth when I was coming into there about a month ago with a 52' Manhattan. We were light on fuel and water. So I coasted into there at 2-3 knots in neutral and used the bow thruster to steer as we glided in, no issue. There's 6' inside the marina of draft. We topped off fuel and water, which only dropped us 2-3" on the water line......did the same going out and got stuck solid......I thrustered a hole with the bow and stern thrusters (moved the boat side-side 10' a few times) and then bumped it in gear and got out. Keep in mind the pool level was high at that time also.
  3. Freebird

Freebird Member

Ran out of luck at Amory, but not bad. 45-60 minute delay on a northbound tow. Thank God it wasn’t going south. :D
  4. Freebird

Freebird Member

Textbook locking perfection today with zero delays at the three locks on this leg. Left Columbus Marina around 5:15 or so and hit Demopolis around 5:30. They had dropped their fuel to $1.95 which saved us from taking a 100 gallon splash and going out of our way to Fairhope where it’s $1.85. As memory serves, we paid north of $2.50 when I came through with the 60MY on the northbound delivery.

Some jackass tow boat operator (tow as in barge) decided he would leave the fuel dock unannounced and **** near blew us into the back of the basin. For those unfamiliar, the outside are of the fuel dock is commercial, and the inside is recreational. It’s very shallow and extremely narrow on the rec side, and you have to back out the way you came in. When I saw him moving, I knew what was about to happen, so I pulled back up to the dock having already tossed the lines. The dock workers weren’t impressed either.

All the guy had to do was back out from the dock and spin north. Instead, he spun it right there at the dock! Jackass wouldn’t answer me on 13, but I’ll report him to his employer. They would have been on the hook for any damage.

In the courtesy car now after a shower with the owners making a grocery run at Walmart. Looks like the restaurants here are still takeout only. Was hoping The Red Barn would be open, but not yet.
  5. Freebird

Freebird Member

BOLO for a 70’ Pershing that left Bobby’s Fish Camp this morning. We were on the dock with them, after they FINALLY moved forward after washing their boat.

The boat ahead of us filled us in on how they had been wreaking havoc on anything and anyone in their path while running 40 knots. They are younger people who are totally clueless.

One post on a Facebook looper group confirmed their reckless operation as far back as Dog River. Boat name is, Bad Daddy, but they either don’t use their VHF or ignore those who hail them. Even tow Captains have yelled at them for throwing up a massive wake.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There's always ONE (idiot). My customer made it safely to his marina in Northern Michigan 2 days ago and is happy.
  7. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Canada and U S border now extended until July 21/20
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I remember a thread about a boat that did that in the C&D canal a few years ago. When chased down they basically gave the bird. It took a couple of weeks of spreading reputation, but I seem to remember they eventually got very contrite and humble. A lot of marinas will know the name after today
  9. Freebird

Freebird Member

Finished the Tenn-Tom today and stopped at Turner Marine for the night. Other than the water being a lot lower than the northbound trip, all is well. Just don’t forget about Whitten closing for maintenance. Don’t remember the date off the top of my head, but soon.

Will end this trip tomorrow at Gulfport which is 91 miles away.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

June 30-July 30
  11. yr2030

yr2030 Senior Member

Weren't as many there as in previous years. See you soon